Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

For someone who was completely obsessed with the first movie, I think I did fairly well in calming myself enough to sit through the entire screening of “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.” I was never that googly-eyed girl who screamed in pain every time the camera focused on someone other than Orlando Bloom, but I did worship the movie a bit.

Okay, more than a bit. And when I heard they were making a sequel - well, I just about lost it. Because, really, in a pirate movie, how can you go wrong? It's got action, sword fights, humor, romance, horror, and a fun story. I expected nothing less of the second “Pirates.”

Well, folks, you'll be glad to know that I got what I wanted. “Dead Man's Chest” is fun and exciting and darker than the first movie, but not in a bad way. Johnny Depp shines in his portrayal of the eccentric but likeable Captain Jack Sparrow with his charm, wit, and one-of-a-kind way of talking himself out of dangerous situations. Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom are the same heroic couple but I think the real award goes to Bill Nighy as the heartless villain, Davy Jones. He plays his role so well that listening to (and looking at) him made my skin crawl.

So, if you're looking for a bit of swashbuckling fun, “Pirates” will not be a waste of money. Just remember, when it ends: there is going to be a third one soon, too.

musicispassion said...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 2:23 am:
I LOVE pirares of the caribbean and captain jack/ johnny depp

doodlebug said...
i am the biggest fan of the movie and the artcil love orlando bloom

zman1 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 1, 2010 at 5:45 pm :
I enjoyed the movie but the plot was too convoluted at times. I think the action was great and Johnny Depp embodied his character in a way that he is Jack Sparrow.