Pan’s Labyrinth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

To put things in perspective, I am not usually a movie enthusiast, so the chance that I should stumble upon a masterpiece is slim to none. I caught a glimpse of the trailer for “Pan’s Labyrinth” on TV and it intrigued me enough to find out more on the internet; I was surprised to read that the critics thought highly of it and so I decided to give it a chance.

I left the theater more or less mesmerized. “Pan’s Labyrinth” describes the fantastical journey of a young girl named Ofelia in the midst of the Spanish Civil War. It is mildly violent and altogether spectacular. Ofelia’s vivid imagination is in stark contrast to the events occurring around her, but eventually not even she can disregard the cruelties of war.

Director Guillermo del Toro utilizes a similar theme that was most poignant in Terry Gilliam’s “Brazil,” which is that it is human nature to attempt to escape to a place of solace. In many respects, the films are similar as both step out of the confines of happy endings.

The acting is impeccable as well as the imagery, with everything seeming to come to life, and for that hour and 52 minutes I was in a different place. As one of the few movies that can stand strong without 90 percent of the material pertaining to some sort of romance, “Pan’s Labyrinth” is truly a must-see.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

turtlewarriorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm:

i totally agree