The Hobbit | Teen Ink

The Hobbit

By m.turco SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
m.turco SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you"
Matthew 7:7

The film The Hobbit, directed by Peter Jackson, was beyond all of our expectations when we first set eyes upon it. A young hobbit by the name of Mr. Bilbo Baggins reluctantly agrees to join a loyal company of dwarves to salvage their home from the feared dragon, Smaug. This well-directed film is compelling due to the action, courageous deeds, and added storyline that was not in the book. While Bilbo, Gandalf, and the dwarves are passing through the Trollshaw Forest, they come across three trolls who have stolen their ponies; the dwarves heroically fight, but end up waiting to be cooked. This scene is action-packed because the brave confrontation leaves us all on the edges of our seats, awaiting an unfortunate death of one in the company. As the journey continues, the fellowship escapes the goblins in the Mines of Moria, but is run down by a pack of orcs led by the Pale Orc, who claimed to cut off the line of Durin. At this point Thorin is defeated by the Pale Orc so Bilbo goes to avenge his friend, committing a great deed of courage. Bilbo taught me to be courageous if I want to do anything memorable. Lastly, the whole conflict with the orc pack and the Necromancer is not in the book’s storyline. These antagonists add to the film’s suspense and adventure. So, the action, displays of courage, and added storyline build this film into an intriguing work of art.

on Sep. 7 2013 at 11:15 pm
StarSophia GOLD, Wauwatosa, WI, Wisconsin

“But it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it'll shine the clearer." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” ~ Corrie Ten Boom

OH MY WORD I LOVE THIS MOVIE.  :D  I am also a huge LOTR/JRR Tolkein/Peter Jackson fan as well as a Martin Freeman/Richard Armitage fan so this movie was lots of amazing all in one package.  My only criticism would be the plan for 3 movies - however, I love the background details Jackson has developed and I can't wait to see what happens in the next two!

m.turco SILVER said...
on Aug. 22 2013 at 6:53 pm
m.turco SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Matthew 7:7

I myself am a enthusiastic LOTR and Hobbit fan, but completly agree with you on how some parts were drawn out and three movies is a bit redundant. however, I think having three movies will cover all of the amazing parts in the book and be worth it in the long run! The acting and singing were superb, I totally agree. Thanks for the feedback! I am looking forward to the next movie coming out in December!

on Aug. 19 2013 at 4:03 pm
VibratoFortissimo BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
― Marilyn Monroe

I do agree that this movie was amazing. Being an avid fan of Tolkien's works, I love how Jackson put the movie together. However, I don't think three movies should be made out of a book smaller than each of the LOTR books (which only got one movie each). I feel as if some parts were drawn out way too much in The Hobbit and more could have been included. The acting was phenomenal though, and the dwarves' voices? Talk about smoking hot baritones and basses! Love the movie and the series.