The Hobbit | Teen Ink

The Hobbit

July 29, 2013
By m.turco SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
m.turco SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you"
Matthew 7:7


The film The Hobbit, directed by Peter Jackson, was beyond all of our expectations when we first set eyes upon it. A young hobbit by the name of Mr. Bilbo Baggins reluctantly agrees to join a loyal company of dwarves to salvage their home from the feared dragon, Smaug. This well-directed film is compelling due to the action, courageous deeds, and added storyline that was not in the book. While Bilbo, Gandalf, and the dwarves are passing through the Trollshaw Forest, they come across three trolls who have stolen their ponies; the dwarves heroically fight, but end up waiting to be cooked. This scene is action-packed because the brave confrontation leaves us all on the edges of our seats, awaiting an unfortunate death of one in the company. As the journey continues, the fellowship escapes the goblins in the Mines of Moria, but is run down by a pack of orcs led by the Pale Orc, who claimed to cut off the line of Durin. At this point Thorin is defeated by the Pale Orc so Bilbo goes to avenge his friend, committing a great deed of courage. Bilbo taught me to be courageous if I want to do anything memorable. Lastly, the whole conflict with the orc pack and the Necromancer is not in the book’s storyline. These antagonists add to the film’s suspense and adventure. So, the action, displays of courage, and added storyline build this film into an intriguing work of art.