Dreamgirls | Teen Ink

Dreamgirls MAG

Usually, turning Broadway shows into movies doesn’t work, but “Dreamgirls” is an exception. One reason may be its all-star cast featuring Beyoncé Knowles, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Jennifer Hudson, and Anika Noni Rose.

Even though my expectations of the movie weren’t very high, I was moved to tears by one of Jennifer Hudson’s songs simply because her performance is so powerful, and her breakout role as an actress is just as good as her booming voice (Hudson was a 2004 contestant on “American Idol.” )

Eddie Murphy, known for playing comedic roles, shows a darker side as a famous disco artist and drug addict. Murphy shows the world that he’s not just the lovable Donkey from “Shrek” but a great actor with an amazing voice to match.

This movie never ceased to amaze me with its music and acting. I believe that Beyoncé really delivers the performance of the year. She has always played the attractive, funny, and sweet girl, but here she proves herself to be independent, powerful, and beautiful.

“Dreamgirls” was nominated for eight Academy Awards, but not for best film, which shocked me because it won Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy at the Golden Globes. I was, however, pleased that Jennifer Hudson won for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, though Eddie Murphy was passed over for best supporting actor.

I recommend this film to everyone. Even if you don’t like musicals, this is one of the greatest Broadway shows-turned-movie ever and should not be missed.

i love this so much!

on Mar. 9 2012 at 8:52 pm
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I liked that you mentioned that the movie didn't quite meet your expectations. I didn't really feel that Eddie Murphy sang so great or that Beyonce's acting was top notch, but Creamgirls was an enjoyable film. It had an amazing plot and the nominations were rightly bestowed. Nice review~