Blood Diamond | Teen Ink

Blood Diamond MAG

By Anonymous

     “Blood Diamond,” the Academy Award nominated film, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Djimon Hounsou, and Jennifer Connelly, is raw and heart-pounding. It left me speechless. The gripping plot is sure to remain etched in viewers’ minds.

The film is set during Sierra Leone’s civil war, in which diamonds were used to finance the conflict. “Blood diamonds” are those mined in a war zone and sold in order to purchase weapons.

Solomon (Hounsou) is captured and forced to work in the mines. He finds a large pink gem and buries it with the hope of using it to escape. Shortly after, government forces attack and arrest all the miners, including Solomon. Meanwhile, his son is kidnapped and brainwashed into being a child soldier.

In prison, Solomon meets Danny Archer (DiCaprio), who had been arrested for smuggling diamonds. Archer is desperate to repay his boss for the diamonds he lost and when he hears about Solomon’s hidden gem, he offers to help him reclaim his family in exchange for the stone.

Along the way Archer meets Maddy Bowen (Connelly), an American journalist covering the war and the role of blood diamonds. The trio embark on a quest to find the diamond and Solomon’s family.

Phenomenal directing and acting make this movie unforgettable. DiCaprio’s accent, emotions, and expressions have the viewer truly believe his character. He never fails to have the audience experience what he feels while director Edward Zwick mixes all the right ingredients to make this film a true favorite.

This movie is rated R, and for good reason: The violence and gore may be too intense for some. I appreciate the honesty and grittiness of the film, but others may not. People who have a weak stomach may find it difficult to enjoy.

“Blood Diamond” is the best action movie of the year. If you are up to it, see it. You will not be disappointed.