Dan in Real Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Entering the theater, I had no specific preference which movie to see. Since “Dan in Real Life” was the only one playing I had heard of, I bought a ticket and took my seat. Now I am very happy I did.

In the movie, Dan (Steve Carell), a single father of three daughters, is an advice columnist and uses his advice to help himself. Carell plays the predictable comical character and makes the movie what it is. He is one of the reasons I saw it, since I have seen his astounding talent in his more comedic roles in “The Office” and “The 40-Year-Old Virgin,” his more depressing role as the suicidal uncle in “Little Miss Sunshine,” and now his somewhat depressing yet humorous role in “Dan in Real Life.”

I was also pleasantly surprised to see Dane Cook here, since I am not a big fan and found it refreshing to see him in a different role than his usual dimwitted character.

The three daughters (Alison Pill, Brittany Robertson, and Marlene Lawston) also play their roles well, especially Robertson, who I thought makes the movie hilarious and appropriately quirky. Although

I feel there might have been a better actress to play both Dan and Mitch’s girlfriend than Juliette Binoche, she is still a believable character. All in all, this was an adorable movie that I would recommend to all.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

boutin_1989 said...
I thought the movie was in fact a "real life" experience. there wasn't alot of extras or special effects the movie was definetly one i could relate to ...awesome show!!