Warm Bodies | Teen Ink

Warm Bodies MAG

By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD

Now, I imagine that a ton of people will compare “Warm Bodies” to “Twilight,” which I think is unfair. From what I've learned, a romance between a girl and a rotting corpse is more believable than a romance between a girl and a sparkling corpse. That's just the world we live in.

“Warm Bodies” is the story of a zombie named R (Nicholas Hoult) who lives (sort of) in a post-apocalyptic world. Zombies have emerged and humans are, well, limited. R is the main character, and he speaks in his head because he feels that he's smarter than just “Brains!” He can't remember his name, ­however he knows it begins with an R.

R spends his days wandering around an airport with fellow zombies. Zombies in this movie aren't called zombies. They're called corpses, but we all know they're zombies. R has a best friend named M (Rob Corddry), and he's just as enjoyable as R. As a zombie, R is constantly craving flesh and brains. As a neat addition to the zombie lore, when these zombies eat the brains of someone, they experience that person's memories, or at the very least “feel alive.”

While out looking for food with M and pack of zombies, R discovers Julie (Teresa Palmer) and her friends. They have a little fight, and R ends up eating Julie's boyfriend, Perry (Dave Franco), who isn't that memorable anyway. R sees Julie and suddenly has the hots for her. So he takes her to his home and protects her from the other mindless corpses. They bond
as the days go by, and amazingly R slowly becomes more human. So, we all know that if the zombie apocalypse does come around, the cure is a bullet to the brain, right? Okay, good. Because love doesn't cure zombies, however it does in this movie.

Eventually, Julie wants to go home to her friends and family, and R agrees to escort her. On the way, R reveals that he ate Perry, which makes Julie run away from him, and she tries to get back to the human camp alone.

Meanwhile, there are monsters worse than the corpses: Bonies are corpses after they mutated too far to be saved. Unlike R and the other corpses, bonies do not feel. They eat anything with a heartbeat. R races to find Julie and protect her. Julie tries to convince her father (John Malkovich) that corpses can change and love, but he doesn't listen and tries to kill R. Soon, R, Julie, and the humans are ambushed by a huge horde of bonies. Luckily, M and the corpses show up to help fight off the bonies. After seeing that R can bleed, Julie's father understands what his daughter has been trying to tell him. The film wraps up with R fully alive and Julie watching a town getting blown up, symbolizing the end of the apocalypse.

The story is a great new look at the zombie apocalypse. In most things zombie, we take the humans' point of view, but here we see the zombies' perspective. With us, it's always, “We must save humanity. Waste them!” But the zombies are like, “Dudes, we have ­feelings, too.” The idea that zombies can become more human the more they are around humans is cheesy, but the movie delivers it in a way that makes you believe it.

R, Julie, her dad, and M were the only memorable people-corpses in the movie. But was “Warm Bodies” good? Yeah, I had a blast. It was definitely better than I thought it was going to be.

This movie was a ton of fun, and much better than I thought it was going to be. Thank God it wasn't Twilight with Zombies.