Mortal Kombat Annihilation | Teen Ink

Mortal Kombat Annihilation

By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD

(Sigh)
Hey guys. I noticed that a lot of people read my review of Mortal Kombat. And honestly, I was surprised. It was a really old movie that came out in the early 90's and I guess you guys really liked it. And since I said I would someday review its sequel, I figured now is as good a time as any. The sequel is a horribly acted, over-the-top, and poorly written sequel. I've watched some major disappointments before, but this isn't as bad as Batman & Robin, but it's still pretty bad. Just so you know, I might get somewhat spoiler-ish with this movie, because I'm sure none of you would consider seeing it. So let's get this over with.
Mortal Kombat Annihilation. The movie starts off with the same credits from the first movie. I'm not even kidding. The credits are the exact same credits from the first movie. The only difference is when we get to the Mortal Kombat title, the letters mold themselves into the word 'Annihilation'. They couldn't even afford a new opening sequence? How cheap were these a-holes? But the movie really begins with a Mortal recap of the last movie. Liu won the tournament, Raiden never shut up, Johnny and Sonya got together I think, and they also escaped with the Emperor's daughter Kitana, who was in the movie for about five minutes. But they make it back to Earth-Realm, and they all live happily ever after. Or do they? Portals begin opening in the sky and evil henchmen begin raining down on our heroes. But our fearless fighters are confident. As Liu Kang gets on his guard, Kitana readies for battle, Sonya prepares for...oh wait, I forgot. In this movie, Sonya, Raiden and Johnny are played by entirely different actors, which is strange because the ending of the last movie indicates that there will definitely be a sequel. Maybe the original actors quit once they learned that the movie couldn't even afford a new opening sequence. Anyway, the baddies that surround our heroes are working for the Emperor of Darkness: Shao Kahn, who weirdly enough looks like McGruff the Crime Dog with his Skull helmet on. Accompanying him is his Queen Sindel, who just happens to be Kitana's mother. So, Raiden and Shao Kahn fight in order to show off their lousy special effects. Seriously, these effects are so bad, they make the Angry Video Game Nerd's look professional. By the way, that was not a heavy handed slap against the Angry Videogame Nerd, but a heavy handed slap against the movie. But Johnny Cage wants in on the choppy Photoshop effects, but that results in him getting his neck snapped by Kahn. Yes, you read right people. Johnny Cage dies in this movie, which pissed me off when I first saw it, because he was my favorite character in the first movie even though his one-liners did get irritating. The other heroes escape through a cave and discuss strategy. Raiden suggests that Sindel is the key to closing the portals because she's suppose to be dead, and that reuniting her with Kitana will stop Kahn's plan. The story in this one is a lot harder to follow than the first movie. I guess their plan is to roam through the realms of Earth and Out-World as the Emperor slowly merges the two worlds together. You see, in the games Shao Kahn is always trying to merge the human world and Out-World, since he's always trying to conquer the galaxy. So, they split up into teams. Kitana and Liu make their way through the caverns until they are attacked by Cyber-Smoke and some henchmen. You see, in the games Smoke is a member of the Lin Kwei tribe of ninjas, and their boss constantly tries to merge cybernetic technology into his warriors so they won't make mistakes. But, for some reason the cybernetic enhancements also give the ninjas dreadlocks. Weird. Liu and Cyber-Smoke participate in a bad action sequence until he and Kitana are saved by a familiar face: Sub-Zero. Now some of you may be asking, "But wait, didn't you say that Sub-Zero died in the first movie?" Well yes he did, but this Sub-Zero is the brother of Sub-Zero from the first movie. They form an alliance, and are immediately attacked by Scorpion. Now even more of you are probably asking, "Wait! Didn't he die in the first movie, too? What's going on?" He died in the first movie as well, but scorpion can just be reincarnated by Quan Chi, a sorcerer who is not in any of the Mortal Kombat movies, so he doesn't matter right now. Scorpion kidnaps Kitana, and we cut to Sonya who is breaking into a lab. She comes across her counterpart Jacks (or Jax) who just had the best steroid injection he ever had in his life. He's got cybernetic strength enhancers on his arms, so that's the joke. They are then attacked by Cyber-Cyrax, another member of the Lin Kwei. They participate in another bad action sequence, until they win. Meanwhile, Liu Kang is roaming the desert to find a way to get Kitana back. Later that night, he comes across a warrior named Nightwolf, who teaches him how to release his inner beast by showing him clips from the last movie. Then he meets a girl ninja named Jade who joins him on his quest. Meanwhile, Sonya and Jacks are also roaming the desert until they come across...(sigh) another bad action sequence. Sonya fights a ninja called Mileena, who is in this movie just to make a quick cameo. There are so many more characters from the game in this movie than the last one, but they don't even try to use them for anything other than bad fight sequences. Anyway, we then see Raiden talking with the Elder Gods to ask for help. Ah! A scene without fighting! Take it away! Take it away!

Raiden then rejuvenates himself, trying to look like 'Billy Idol', as he meets up with everyone else, and they make their way to Out-World. But faster than you can say, "STOP FIGHTING!!!", another fight scene pops up. After that, Liu Kang breaks Kitana out of her cell. Kitana tries to save her mother, but it doesn't work. Sindel escapes by doing her Wonder Woman twirl. Raiden then reveals that Shao Kahn is his brother. They then move on to the final fight scene. Shao Kahn kills off Raiden, and he readies for battle. Kitana faces her mother, Jax fights someone with a horse's ass, and Sonya fights a red ninja. Then Liu and Kahn finally fight, and this is the only time in the whole movie that the Mortal Kombat theme plays during a fight scene. Anyway, Liu Kang and Kahn release their inner beasts and fight as two CGI monsters until Liu reverts them back to human, and he beats Kahn. Then the Earth is separated from Out-World, Sindel becomes human, Raiden is revived, and order is restored to the world. And they all live happily ever after. Or do they? Yeah, they actually do. But I don't! This movie is horrible. It makes the first Mortal Kombat look like a masterpiece. I give Mortal Kombat Annihilation the rating of: Dog Sh#t! A 1 out of 5!

If you have the opportunity to pass on this movie, do so! The first Mortal Kombat movie wasn't perfect, but at least it was a movie. Which more than I can say for this piece of crap. So, who's your favorite character from Mortal Kombat? From the movie, or from the game. Comment below, let me know. And if you liked this review, and you want to read more, check out my other reviews to read more.

Plus, I'd like to know what you guys would like me to review. What movie, videogame or TV show would you like to see me review? Comment below or email me to let me know. Bye-Bye.

Mortal Kombat!

Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

Thanks. And I try to add humor. It helps the reader stay intrigued.

Shadowpomgurl PLATINUM, Canton, New York

"I was NEVER that drunk." -Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow

haha, you a funny one! I loved the review, was AWESOMEEEEE.....!!!!!!!!! :)