Oz the Great and Powerful This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

This Disney film is a spectacular fantasy based on the ever loved classic series “The Wizard of Oz”. The main character, Oscar Diggs portrayed by James Franco is a magician for a traveling circus in Kansas. In a comedic escape he hitches a ride on a tornado into the world of oz, where he meets a magical witch. She along with all the people of this world are joyed with his arrival, thinking he is the one who has come to save them all. You meet good witches and bad witches, little girls and flying monkeys. There is love, betrayal, loyal friends and greed; all of these good for a fantasy adventure but there are other aspects like “comedy and drama that had me tapping my shoes in a chance I could stop watching.
His adventure though oz is magical, but was really all that interesting?
The special effects and costume design for all characters blew me away. The beauty at times were breathtaking, but like many movies that are meant to be watched in 3D, the 2D aftershock was disappointing and cheesy. Where the characters excelled in looks, they lacked in personality. Oscar's character was written as a charming, dramatic magician but he acted more like a 5 year old kid. His character, though out the entire film was one that was not at all likeable, and when the movie ended it didn't leave me with any love or sympathy, in fact I was almost routing for the losing team. At times I wanted to through a house of my own on him. I could not take him seriously and same goes for the witches. Although I have much to say about the casting of the witches (or the whole movie for that matter) their back story was interesting and what really held the movie together. Aside from the witches oz's story was rather dull, I felt myself getting sleepy just watching it. I think what keep my eyes open were the subliminal connections between the original series. This movie I do recommend for people who are a fan of “Oz”or to people with families. But if it was a “classic” Disney film you were looking for, its easier to look for oz yourself.