Mortal Kombat | Teen Ink

Mortal Kombat

June 20, 2013
By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
40 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD


Have you guys noticed that movies based on video games tend to suck? And vise versa. Movies like Tekken, and Street Fighter blow chunks. But occasionally, we get a movie that's decent. A movie that's not perfect, but is still a movie. A movie like Mortal Kombat.
Around the 80's or 90's, Mortal Kombat came out around the same time as Street Fighter. Every one knewit was going to be a piece of crap, but the advertisements made people wonder. After all, if you've seen the ads for MK, (which can easily be found on Youtube) it looked pretty cool. It looked just like the game, the special effects were impressive, and it had that techno-beat you couldn't get out of your head. But, there was a major problem with the flick. Four syllables: PG-13. This game was one of the most violent blood baths to hit the arcade, and there was no way they could fit all that gore into an hour and a half movie. Anyway, the story focuses around three characters: Johnny Cage who makes his living as an actor, Sonja Blade who makes he living as a a pouty FBI agent, and Liu Kang who's...um, the chosen one? Accompanying them is a mystical being known as Raiden, played byg Christopher Lambert. The bad guy is the soul sucking psycho Shang Tsung, and his master plan is to...you guessed it, take over the world. Insert "Of course" joke here. Now for those who don't know, Mortal Kombat is a fighting tournament where a select few are chosen to fight for the fate of their realm. And I've noticed that there's a bit of a pattern to this movie: Someyg one fights then Raiden talks, some one fights then Raiden talks, some one fights and Raiden talks. It's fighting and talking, and don't we already get enough of that from our government? Anyway, aside from Johnny, Sonja, Liu Kang and Raiden, there are other characters from the game like Kano, Reptile, Goro, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero. Scorpion and Sub-Zero are pretty cool, mainly because they don't talk. Kano's accent can get pretty irritating, too. Now, Goro is a crappy anmatronic puppet. He gets axed off by Johnny after he and Scorpion go a few rounds, after Sub-Zero and Liu Kang duke it out, after Sonja kills off Kano. Yeah, a lot happens in thi movie. Soon enough, Sonja is kidnapped by Shang because he has the hots for Sonja (serious ew) and Liu Kang & Johnny head to Outworld to save her after Liu faces Reptile. In the final fight, Liu Kang faces Shang Tsung in a longer fight than any other fight in the movie. And of course they win, go back home, and live happily ever after. Or do they? Back on Earth, Shang's boss, Shao Kahn rises and prepares to take the souls of every one on Earth. And that's where the movie ends. Our heroes pose and then the credits pop up. Bottom line; this movie is okay. At least a 3 out of 5. But the games are way better. So if you're bored, and want to watch a movie just to watch a movie, put in Mortal Kombat.
So have you seen Mortal Kombat? What did you think of it? Comment below, let me know. Hope you enjoyed this review. And I'll get around to talking about the sh#tty sequel soon enough. Bye-bye.