Juno | Teen Ink

Juno

This 2007 comedy became one of the best and most talked about movies of the year. It’s about a teenage girl who gets pregnant by her long time friend and needs to make decisions like whether or not she wants to have an abortion. Almost the whole movie takes place during the nine months she’s pregnant and tells the story of how she has to mature and grow up during those nine months. Ellen Paige plays the main character, Juno, a teenager with a smart mouth trying to get through this difficult time in her life. Ellen Paige gave an amazing performance as Juno. She portrayed the character so well that she was nominated for best actress at the Oscars and many people expected her to win.
Juno is unlike any movie I’ve ever seen. Its script is extremely unique and intriguing. Its quirky lines like, “That ain’t no etch-a-sketch. This is one doodle that can’t be un-did, homeskillet” keeps you fascinated throughout the whole movie. Even though the story is about a teenager who gets pregnant by a guy who isn’t even her boyfriend at the time, her parents and friends aren’t trying to lecture her about morals and what she did wrong, they support her from the very beginning, which makes this story different from most. It showed a different perspective on teen pregnancy because in most movies, it is a serious topic but in Juno, there is more real-life comedy in it. When reassuring her adoptive couple that she was definitely going to go through with the adoption, she said, “Yea, if I could just have the thing and give it to you now, I totally would. But I'm guessing it probably looks like a sea monkey right now and we should let it get a little cuter.” Quotes like this show how comedy is used to lighten the mood on the otherwise serious matter.
It is a movie for people of so many ages because it harps on subjects many people can relate to and therefore when you watch it, it is easy to connect with the character and understand her emotions. Her sadness. Her happiness. And everything in between. It is a movie that can be watched years after its release and still be enjoyed. Juno is an amazingly made and written movie and I think anyone who sees it will love it.

KPeifer! said...
on Nov. 18 2008 at 1:55 am
i totally agree. Juno isn't a bad influence. sadly, its life and it does happen daily. Juno is really an intelligent person and she made the right choice. greeaaat review(:

This movie was a bad influence on people in general. it created the idea that divorce is caused by kids, and that loosing a child is a day to day routine, and is no big deal. the man creeping on the girl is also awkward and scares young children into the idea of utter-disaster. Flamboyant and sexual ways in the movie cause children to be effected negatively, creating an under satisfactory R movie. (which is what it should be)

Fernwood said...
Very well written article, simple yet crisp and insightful! Great writing!

oldgranny said...
I'm an older woman (59) and I found this young lady's view-

point refreshing and insightful. She seems to have given the

matter some thought before writing, and her style is clean yet emotional....I haven't seen the movie, yet her review has

made me decide to rent it!!!

TexMex61 said...
This is an amazing critique on this movie.