The Great Gatsby | Teen Ink

The Great Gatsby

By daniellechilson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
daniellechilson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The Great Gatsby, written by Scott F. Fitzgerald, begins with an introduction of the narrator of the book, Nick Carraway, who is a Midwesterner captivated with the mysterious lifestyle of his next door neighbor, the prosperous Jay Gatsby.

On May 10, 2013, Fitzgerald’s New York Times Bestseller, The Great Gatsby, returned to theaters, but this time with a new director.

Carraway, played by Tobey Maguire, meets Gatsby at one of his parties. He learns that Gatsby, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, knew Daisy Buchanan, played by Carey Mulligan, in Louisville in 1917, where he discovered he was in love with her.

The Great Gatsby currently has three versions of the book made into movies. The first was released in 1974, the second was released in 2000, and then the latest that was just released.

Baz Luhrmann, who directed Romeo & Juliet, use’s his outstanding abilities to create the setting in New York during the lavish roaring twenties in the 2013 movie. The movie is unmistakably, Scott F. Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.
Luhrmann portrays a 20s filled with loud music and bright colors. The soundtrack includes artists like Beyonce, Jay-Z, Florence + the Machine, and Lana Del Rey, music from this generation.
This is the best version of Fitzgerald’s novel to be put on the big screen.