O Brother, Where Art Thou? | Teen Ink

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

May 10, 2013
By Ilovenails BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Ilovenails BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Pete:” I’ll be 85 years old!” Delmar,” well... I’ll only be 82!” Everett: “Well I am sorry about that.!.” This is my dad and grandpa’s favorite movie: O Brother, Where Art Thou? The movie was released on December 22nd, 2000. The reason I think they like this movie so much is because it was taken around the 1930’s. You have all your genres: History, Comedy, Adventure, Crime, and Music. There are five top characters that we will look at. George Clooney who played Everett Ulysses Mcgill, John Turturro as Pete Hogwallop, Tim Blake Nelson as Delmar O’Donnell, and last but not least we have John Goodman as Big Dan Teague.

Everett McGill is the main character. He is the lead singer of the “The Soggy Bottom Boys” whose number one hit single was “I am a Man of Constant Sorrows” and the leader of the three men. Everett, Pete, and Delmar needed money because they just escaped from jail. They keep finding themselves in a “tight spot,” (which Everett always says “Da*m were in a tight spot”). After finding a car to drive they pick up a hitchhiker named Tommy, who is black. They picked Tommy up and went to the radio station to earn some money. The song producer was blind so he didn't notice that the singers were three jail escapees and a black man. They start singing “I am a Man Of Constant Sorrows” and the producer loved them. He payed the boys and put the song on the radio, but know one knew who the guys were. They were on the road again.

Next we have Pete Hogwallop, he had two weeks till he would have been set free from the slammer. He was lured by the three Sirens and questioned Everetts leadership. The three men were walking down the road when they heard three Sirens singing a unique tune that drew the guys toward the river. When they find them, the girls are in the stream singing and trying to persuade them to fall for them. The girls give them alcohol while singing “Go to Sleep Little Baby” and cleaning them off with water because they were dirty from escaping and not bathing. The guys were relaxed and fell asleep. When they wake up they find that Pete is gone. Delmar starts freaking out because Pete’s clothes were laid out like a person but with no body in it. All of a sudden (right where the heart would be) it started moving and out hops a toad. Delmar starts screaming saying the Sirens turn Pete into a toad! Watch the movie and see what happens next.

When I think of Delmar I think of a person who is not that bright but still can make you smile. He is the sensitive one of the group (like when he freaked out because his best friend was just turned into a toad). He got saved by the preacher and had all his sins washed away. He is the background singer with Pete (but is the lead singer for the song “Jailhouse”). He is very trustworthy and simple minded.

Big Dan Teague is into bible sales, but he only tells that to the people who have a lot of money (which Delmar and Everett just received). Big Dan has them pay for his expensive lunch and then takes them to a spot out in the country. When the two men wanted to talk some business with Big Dan he takes a big branch and beats them up so he can steal their money (he also kills the toad). He is also a member of the Klu Klux Klan. So needless to say you would not want to meet him.

I think that the quote that best fits Everett, Delmar, and Pete is: “Sometimes you have to lose your way to get back home.” My grandpa was blind, but he didn’t have to “see” this movie to love it. George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson, and John Goodman are the perfect characters for this 1930’s movie. This is a must see film! Watch it with your parents and grandparents, they’ll love it too! You will learn some history, enjoy some comedy, adventure, crime and music all in a hour and forty-eight minutes.

Rated PG-13


The author's comments:
Everybody does new movies. I want to do something different. Plus it is my families favorite movie