Napoleon Dynamite | Teen Ink

Napoleon Dynamite

By Michael Monson BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Michael Monson BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Napoleon Dynamite

Imagine having a bland day at school. You had to take some tests, and the classes that you didn’t have tests in you had to take notes or listen to a lecture. After a long day at school, you get home and want to do something that will cheer you up. Immediately you decide to watch a comedy movie. But you don’t want to watch just any comedy movie. You want to watch one that will make you laugh throughout the entire movie. If you are ever in that situation, I recommend the movie “Napoleon Dynamite”. Every single scene in that movie will make you laugh out loud. “Napoleon Dynamite” may be an old movie, but the comedy never gets old. If you haven’t seen this awesome movie and you’re still not sure if you want to, then keep reading. I will tell you about the setting and plot, the characters, and some of the scenes.

Napoleon lives in the small town of Preston, Idaho with his brother, Kip, his grandma, and their llama, Tina. It takes place in the early 2000s. Most of the movie takes place at either Napoleon’s house or at his high school. The entire movie is mainly about Napoleon trying to get through life, but it’s not always pleasant. He has to deal with his odd family and bullies. But with his few friends at his side, he makes it through each day.
Napoleon is a nerdy and awkward guy. He likes to draw fantasy creatures and warriors. His favorite physical activity to do is tetherball. About two-thirds of the way into the movie he started to dance along with dance lesson videos. Napoleon’s brother, Kip, is also a bit nerdy, but is more social than Napoleon. He’s 32 years old and spends a lot of his time emailing “babes” on their computer. At one point he says that he is training to be a cage fighter and took a one-day martial arts class, but then his whole life changed when his online girlfriend comes from Detroit to visit him. She changes his whole look and brings him back to Detroit with her at the end of the movie. Pedro is a transfer student from Mexico who Napoleon immediately becomes friends with. Pedro is a very quiet and reserved person. He runs for class president when he sees a flyer in one of the school hallways. He ends up winning after an epic dance performance by Napoleon. Uncle Rico is a middle aged man with a large ego. He is a former athlete who thinks that he is good enough to be a quarterback in the NFL. Because he thinks he’s that good, he takes lots of videos of himself throwing a football. There are many other important characters in the movie, but you will have to learn about them on your own.
The scene in the movie that I think is the best, is at the end when Napoleon does his incredible dance moves to try to get Pedro to win the class president. It was a great scene because the moves were actually performed pretty well, and Napoleon looked really awkward up on the stage doing these dance moves. There are many other great scenes in this movie, but that one had to be one of the greatest of all of them.
So now that you know more about the setting and plot, the characters, and one of the great scenes from the movie, I hope that you will watch the movie if you haven’t already. It’s my favorite comedy movie, and even though I have seen it a lot of times, the comedy is still funny. If you have a bland day at school or you just want to watch something that will make you laugh, watch “Napoleon Dynamite”. You won’t regret it.

This movie is awesome!