Les Miserables Review | Teen Ink

Les Miserables Review

By bigmackl21 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
bigmackl21 BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

When you believe in one thing, believe in it all the way,implicitly and unquestionable.

LES MISERABLES REVIEW
I’ve seen the movie Les Miserables about seven or eight times. I’m in LOVE with it! I think everything from the actors/actresses who played the roles, to the settings of the movie were beyond excellent. This movie couldn’t have changed the settings because it’s usually known for being a musical, not a movie.
Out of ten, I would give this movie about an 8.82. To me it’s remarkably good, but having to consider every ones view points, and their point of view of the movie, they could have a completely different feeling about it from mine.

If you haven’t seen this movie I would HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you are a musical fanatic like me! If you like historical movies, this is somewhat of one, it has some historical parts about France, but I can’t really tell them to you because I don’t want to ruin some of the plot and a huge part of the movie for you. If you do watch it, I would make sure you are up for it because this isn’t the type of movie that you can just skip a little bit or zone off during it. You have to be completely alert of what’s going on throughout the ENTIRE thing. If I can do it, so can you! Every detail and every song that they sing is so important to the plots of the movie, plus you have to listen carefully because they sing throughout the entire movie. It’s hard but it gets easier the more times you see it.

I read a few things about this movie after watching it so many times and before writing this, but I found out that their singing is real throughout the whole movie. In most musical movies, they lip sing their song in the movie and add in the voice later after the movie is made. Not in Les Miserable, the director wanted this movie to be as real as possible.

An analyisis of the acting role in this movie are:

JEAN VALJEAN: Jean Valjean is played by Hugh Jackman. In my opinion, I think that Hugh was a perfect person for this part. At the beginning I wasn’t quite sure what to think about him, since everyone is so used to seeing him as such an action packed actor; I was a little scared that he wasn’t ready for this HUGE part. I was mistaken. Hugh did a phenomenal job in this role. I’m sure he might’ve taken several voice lessons. They could’ve tweaked his voice a bit; but still, knowing that what he was singing was real seemed so UNREAL! From his madness in the beginning to the showing of love and kindness until the ending is just unbelievable.

INSPECTOR JAVERT: This role is played EXTREMELY well by Russell Crowe. I think that having him acting this dramatic role was beyond brilliant because, he plays the part so well and his voice was a complete shock for me to hear! The way that he performs through his songs is so meaningful and powerful. All the notes that seem so out of his range, he hits perfectly. I’m in complete awe every time I hear it.

FANTINE: This HUGE role is played by Anne Hathaway. I think that Anne Hathaway was a good choice for this role because I don’t think anyone could’ve been this successful with this part as she was. Even though you don’t see her through the middle of the movie, she still managed to have a huge impact on you through one song. Her voice was beyond radiant!

MARIUS: Eddie Redmayne played Marius in Les Miserables. He has a remarkable voice! To me it’s a little more opera than this movie called for, but it was still excellent. I haven’t seen him in any other movies, but this movie was a huge first step into the movie business. The only thing that really bugs me about him is that he quivers a lot when he sings a long or higher note. Other than that small little issue this was a great decision and I really hope to see him in some newer movies!

COSETTE: Now Cosette has two parts, one when she is little, played by Isabelle Allen, and the older Cosette is played by Amanda Seyfried. I think that Isabelle for how young she seemed was very good. For someone her age to be in such a BIG movie is very impressive. Even though she only had one song of her own, she sounded just like that person that wrote imagined her singing it, the song fit her voice perfectly. Amanda Seyfried to me wasn’t the BEST choice for the role for the older Cosette, I’ve seen her in Mama Mia, and she was great, but in this movie was average. It felt like every note that she sang she was forcing it out, which made it sound like she was screaming while she sang. I didn’t enjoy her role too much. I think that they could’ve found someone better. I don’t know who exactly should have gotten the role instead of her, but maybe someone who is newer to the movie industry, and has a more graceful voice. Plus, when she sang I didn’t really connect with what she felt inside, her voice sounded very squeaky to me.

EPONINE: This heartbreaking role is played by Samantha Barks. This role is so inspiring because of her passion for the role; I can feel her emotions in her singing. I can find a way to relate to every word she sings and that’s why in my opinion, she is my favorite character. She was so believable, it seems like she didn’t even have to try to act through the movie or even force the notes. She just sang what she felt. Even though I know she was acting, it didn’t seem like it.

THENARDIER: The actor that plays this part is Sacha Baron Cohen. He isn’t the best singer in this movie, but it was still awesome to see him be in such a serious movie when he has been in some not so serious movies. His role isn’t the most serious either which is why I’m happy by his performance. Plus, singing in a movie is another huge jump for him in the movie business.
MADAME THENARDIER: This horrible but wonderful character role is played by, none other than character is played by Helena Bonham Carter. She was good at acting so mean and so nasty. I really enjoy her role because she doesn’t have to be so incredibly serious with her role like the others.
The interaction between Jackman and Crowe is so incredible; you can actually feel the madness between the two. The ending of those two is so unexpected. When you first see it, like me, you might guess that the obvious is going to happen where one of them is going to lose in a fight. You’ll see at the ending of this movie this huge plot twist.
Hathaway and Jackmans relationship was beyond moving. I still can’t believe just one little action and one day can save someone and make you better than you already were before. He never gave up on her, and he stuck to his word, with that action, his life would be completely changed. He still stuck to his word and always did.
Redmayne and Seyfried’s interaction is so sweet and somewhat dream-like. It was your ALMOST traditional prince and princess ever after. I love how they made sparks the first time they saw each other, just like love at first sight. They had that one moment and shared their love, then separated, but you know that they are going to be reunited and live happily ever after in the end.
Jackman and Redmayne: their relationship is short and sweet but also very meaningful. Saving the other’s life is just unbelievable so that the other one could live their life in happiness and love. Plus, he saved a relationship and gave the other one courage and showed the other one that everyone makes mistakes and they should forget the past. He is truly a good man and should be considered a “saint”.
And my favorite relationship is the relationship between Barks and Redmayne. It was so emotional and, to me, relatable because of their relationship and my relationship with someone. I love their companionship in the ending. It is so heartbreaking and tear jerking. I still cry every time I watch that part. It’s so moving how just watching one action can change your view on your own feelings.
This movie is so remarkable, and having to live up to expectations of all the years it has been around can be very hard, but they did a fabulous job. They modernized it a bit and made it their own and it turned out to be nominated for an Academy Award. Some of the cast members and their performances were nominated too, which is such an honor. This movie is a classic and forever will be in my opinion. It is a MUST SEE!!

I love this movie, and I highly recommend it!