The Master | Teen Ink

The Master

April 14, 2013
By Anonymous

The Master Film Review
This movie is directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, who masterfully made movies such as "There Will be Blood" and "Magnolia", the fastest four hours I have ever sat through. He is no doubt a fantastic talent, a producing-writing-directing type who has never made a bad move, and has never succumb to making popular entertainment. However, this one makes all his others look straight-shooting and sensical, its bizarrely constructed plot blowing your mind from beginning to end. The movie starts with Joaquin Phoenix acting badly in  the Pacific during the tail end of WW2. We start to see his skewed habits as he drinks torpedo fuel, associates all Rorschach tests with sex, and goes off on rampages, drunk on paint thinner, while he throws crystal and steals valuables. Joaquin Phoenix is incredible. His eyes and hunchback-like stanch are intense. He channels insanity and is utterly magnetizing, belittling even Phillip Seymour Hoffman who still delivers a perfect part as a crazy cult leader. This movie is about Joaquin Phoenix's character, not Phillip Seymour Hoffman, playing a L.Ron Hubbard character who has insane ideas about an all healing therapy called "processing", used to strip the human mind of its animal instincts, forcing humans to be led not by emotion but by logic. Sounds almost rational, right? Well "processing" can also cure Leukemia, abolish the Nuclear threat, and turn the world into a bunch of peace-loving, flower-showering hippies. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character is called "The Master", as the doctrine he commandeers spins out of control, becoming more worldwide and dangerous. However, at 137 minutes, this movie does over stay its welcome with too much mumbo jumbo about "processing" Joaquin Phoenix's character also has a past that is almost too screwed up to be believable, as it is shown in quick exhibition, while the rest of the movie sags in the middle with its own weight and high concept. Scientology is not the subject of this film, it is mostly focused on Joaquin Phoenix, while "The Master" is only a character he runs into, not as important as he is built up to be, rather a supporting character who orbits around our insane main character. After the entire movie, you are thoroughly confused. The plot seems almost inconclusive, the ending just happens and although this movie is really good, it is not as traditional as I thought it would be which is a good thing. It does keep you thinking and talking about it for you a very long time. It also fills you with the unpleasant feeling that you are not smart enough to get whats going on. I guess you could call it a little pretentious in the way it comes off, but not every movie needs be easy to follow and quick to understand. This movie is good, but not bad for the reasons I didn't love it and still a movie you should see. If without merit, it is still beautiful in 70 mm that pops with color like a field of tulips.