The Outsiders | Teen Ink

The Outsiders

“When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home.” The first line of The Outsiders is a memorable one. After reading the book, I knew that I had to see the movie. That weekend, I went to Best Buy and knew exactly what I was looking for. Right when I got home, I sat down and put the DVD in. After it was over, I was absolutely speechless. There are no words to describe how great this movie is.

The movie starts out with Ponyboy (C. Thomas Howell) leaving the movie theatre. A group of richer kids, called the Socials, chase after him and beat him up. Ponyboy is what people back in the 50’s would call a Greaser. Greasers are poor and put grease in their hair to slick it back. Ponyboy’s brothers Darry (Patrick Swayze) and Sodapop (Rob Lowe) come to help him. The rest of the gang also come: Dallas (Matt Damon), Steve (Tom Cruise), Two-Bit (Emilio Estevez) and Johnny (Ralph Macchio). After accidentally killing a Social (Leif Garrett), Ponyboy and Johnny run away to an abandoned church in Windrixville. A fire in the church leaves Johnny in the hospital and Ponyboy back home with his brothers. Furious for having lost one of their own, the Socials declare a rumble with the Greasers. After the rumble, Dallas and Ponyboy go to visit Johnny in the hospital. A few minutes later, Johnny dies. It was too much for Dallas to handle and he robs a convenient store. The police come after him and shoot.

The moral of The Outsiders is to be yourself no matter what anybody thinks. The theme is loneliness throughout the whole movie right until the very end. There, the boys realize that they’re not really different than the Socials and all you need is a friend to help you get through tough times.

The Outsiders was an amazing movie and I recommend it to everyone young and old. If we all can realize that no matter what it comes down to, we’re all the same, then we’d all be able to get along. There would be less war and more communication.

Pinkslip BRONZE, GreasersRule, Oklahoma

"Parents aren't interested in justice, but peace and quiet,"
-Bill Cosby

You GO sister!!!!! I am absolutely in LOVE and obsessed with this book and movie!!! It's just absolutely wonderful!!!!! Johnny is my boyfriend!! :) STAY GOLD!!