The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

There have been plenty of films that people thought were unable to be brought to the screen because of the works they were based on, but in the end, a few of these films became some of the most incredible films made. In 2001, Peter Jackson brought to life one of the greatest fantasy works ever written; The Lord of the Rings. Released a year apart, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is the greatest by far, being phenomenal and ground-breaking in every way, from acting and script-writing, to directing and cinematography. But this was not the last we would see of Middle Earth, no, because Peter Jackson still wanted us to see the beginning of this tale, how it all started with a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins, and the return is glorious.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey takes us 60 years before the events of Fellowship of the Ring, when Bilbo Baggins was called upon by Gandalf the Grey to help the Company of Dwarves, lead by Thorin Oakenshield, to reclaim Erebor, the lost Dwarf kingdom, taken by the dragon Smaug. Never before had a film taken us to a new world successfully like the Lord of the Rings did, and this world was a real Middle Earth, as all the films were shot in New Zealand, covering the landscape. In An Unexpected Journey, Peter Jackson brings us back. Based off the book by J.R.R Tolkien, this film was a true spectacle. Some thought the beginning was a little slow, but if compared to Fellowship, it's actually the same pace. I can understand why people did not enjoy the 48 High Frame Rate used in the 3D showings, which made the film look fake and completely digital, but in regular 24 Frame Rate, The Hobbit is just as good as Fellowship. Now, Jackson did use more CG in The Hobbit, but that's because it required such, as a great many things could not be created physically. The acting was top-notch, Martin Freeman being perfect as a young Bilbo, and Ian McKellen returning as Gandalf, but Richard Armitage as Thorin was phenomenal, bringing to life a mysterious character through Jackson's vision. The script was just marvelous, being filled with adventure, action and awe-inspiring battle scenes. But Howard Shore's music, the original composer, doesn't bring a lot of new sounds to the saga, but instead revisits, mixing the tones and patterns, while adding a new theme brought on by the Dwarf song, Misty Mountains.

Overall, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a near-perfect return to a new world created by Peter Jackson that shows us how films based on real events are not always the most important films. Now, not everyone likes fantasy, but this saga stands as some of the greatest films of all time, and with good reason. An Unexpected Journey is a reminder of this, and the upcoming Part II, Desolation of Smaug, will add to the greatness of the epic fantasy genre.

9/10 Stars**

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

SHER_lockedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 8:39 pm:
I totally agree, it was a fantastic return to Middle-Earth, and a great way for those of us who never had the chance to see it on the big screen to experience that for the first time. The casting was top-notch (MARTIN FREEMAN!!! <3) and everything was perfect. Can't wait for the second one (BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH!!!!!! <3)!!!