The Matrix | Teen Ink

The Matrix

March 25, 2013
By FredrikC BRONZE, Kuala Lumpur, Other
FredrikC BRONZE, Kuala Lumpur, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Living in a computer designed world, being a part of an energy system for robots, having no boundaries and finding out that your whole life has been a lie, Neo is living in what is known as the matrix. Thomas Anderson was a computer hacker that went by the name Neo whom had a mission to find out what the matrix is. In order to take on this quest, he meets with a man of the name Morpheus who promises to show him “the truth”. When he meets this man, he has to make a choice. A choice, however, that will change the outcome for millions of lives. Morpheus takes Neo in, claiming that he is “the One”, and trains him to help fight the agents that roam inside the matrix. The audience follows Neo through his struggles and strive to learn, inside and outside the matrix.

Written and directed by the Wachowski brothers, the Matrix offers a different view on the life that we are living. Their story is based very much upon Plato’s allegory called “the Allegory of the Cave”. The Matrix is based on the principle that most people are just like puppets that only see shadows of the truth; they need someone to guide them to the light and to show them the truth and what really is happening.

The movie, the Matrix, was a revolutionary action film when it came out in 1999. It gave action movies a kick and introduced a new type of shot that is known as “bullet time”. Alongside quick and intense action, the movie kept my eyes wide open from the start and held my attention throughout.

Although the Matrix is a movie that should be watched a few times to really understand the true meaning behind it, I still strongly recommend the movie for those who have not watched it.

Rating:

Introduction:
3 / 5 - the movie starts out a bit slow and some parts are a bit hard to understand

Middle:
4 / 5 - the matrix and everything is explained by Morpheus and the movie starts to become more intense

Ending:
5 / 5 - the ending is for sure the best part of the movie; it kept my attention the whole time

OVERALL:
4 / 5 - the movie overall is a bit confusing but the action makes the movie into a great film