Reservoir Dogs | Teen Ink

Reservoir Dogs

March 18, 2013
By Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
13 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mein Führer! I can walk!~~Dr. Stranglelove: Or I How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb


Reservoir Dogs is the directional debut for Quentin Tarantino. That name immediately sparks attention because I have seen the cover of this movie many times, but I never paid any attention to it. I judged the cover by being an over-produced action movie. When I found out this was written and directed by Quentin Tarantino I thought differently of it. Now since I actually seen it I’ll tell you if it’s good or bad. Answer: It’s really, really great.

Reservoir Dogs is about a mob-type movie having 8 people who only now themselves by the aliases given by their boss, Mr. Blonde, Mr. Orange, etc. These guys are working together to get diamonds from a jewelry store. But then the heist goes bad. Now that’s all I’ll talk about what happens because one of the best parts of the movie is finding out what happened. You never see what happens in the heist itself. You just see the “Mister’s” escape and watch them talk about what happened. The scenes are shown out of order. This is a great technique that Tarantino uses because it makes the audience a character as well. They don’t know what the hell happened and neither do we.

The performances of this film are one of the things that really stand out. This is largely due to the writing and screenplay of the film. In the very beginning of the movie, there is a fairly long scene of these characters just talking. This conversation has no purpose to the plot other than to show the personality of these characters. And the movie does this very well. These characters seem like actual people because of this. These characters are nothing alike and that’s why it is great seeing them working off each other.

Nobody can talk about this movie and not talk about the directing in this movie. Tarantino made this movie masterfully. The movie mostly takes place in one warehouse room. Most people may think that would only hurt the movie, but that couldn’t be more wrong of a statement. This movie concentrates more on dialogue and tension the characters are in, instead of action which plagues many films today. It is a dialogue heavy film (That’s a good thing, just so you know).

Quentin Tarantino happily signs his name in this movie with profanity and violence all over the picture. I’ve seen many reviews address this and hold it against the film but I think that if you complain about that, then you shouldn’t be qualified to talk about films in my opinion.

Now I am trying to end this review. I am trying to think of a fault about the film but I am having trouble doing so. One fault would be that there are too many characters. The film is too short to address all these “Mister’s” and make them relevant. But it also makes it seem the heist bigger and more important. So even one of the few “problems” of the film help it in some way. So if you haven’t figured out if I liked this movie. Let me put it to you this way: This is a damn good movie. Watch it now. (This movie also has one of the driest and funniest endings I have ever seen. Please watch this movie and enjoy it.)