Superhero Movie | Teen Ink

Superhero Movie MAG

Ever wonder how bad comedies can get? Even worse than “American Pie: Beta House”? Well, ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you to read about the worst spoof film since “Scary Movie 2.”

“Superhero Movie” has to be the worst film so far this year. The plot begins with a nerd named Rick Riker (Drake Bell) who goes to a science lab on a school field trip and gets bitten by a mutant dragonfly while admiring his future girlfriend Jill Johnson (Sara Paxton) and turns into … well, Dragonfly.

He returns home to his uncle Albert (Leslie Nielsen) and best friend Trey (Kevin Hart), who discover Rick’s powers. Rick decides to fight for justice, just like Spider-Man. But when a mad scientist named Lou Landers (Christopher ­McDonald) changes himself ­into Hourglass, it’s up to Rick (a.k.a. Dragonfly) to stop this terror. You thought the plot of “Scary Movie 2” was bad? Well, this is about to get much worse.

The main problem I have with the film is not the acting, directing, or the special effects; it is the comedy itself. The goal of a comedy is to make people laugh their heads off, but “Superhero Movie” doesn’t cut it. The gags are tired old jokes from the 1970s, à la “Airplane!” and “Naked Gun.” The jokes involve animals, bathroom humor, blowing things up, bees, Steven Hawking, and a nail gun, to name a few. These jokes, most of the time, fell flat. Unlike “Scary Movie 3,” which is very funny, the laughs are few and far between here. This is just unacceptable for a comedy.

The film was written and ­directed by Craig Mazin, who wrote both “Scary Movie 3” and “Scary Movie 4.” His direction is completely flawed. He wouldn’t know a good angle if it hit him in the face. He also doesn’t know good lighting. Sure, some scenes look fine, but others just look too comical even for a comedy.

So, was there anything I liked about this film? I did laugh at a couple of the jokes, and Pamela Anderson always looks hot, no matter what she does. Bottom line: Do not see this movie, even if you’ve been dared to. Skip it and watch “Airplane!” instead.

This film is rated PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, comic violence, and language.

zman1 PLATINUM said...
on Feb. 7 2010 at 10:48 am
zman1 PLATINUM, Bethesda, Maryland

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

This was bad. But anything better than Epic Movie.

Aman459 said...
Ur totally right this movie was really bad

ha-ha-ha said...
on Dec. 13 2008 at 12:22 am
Oh man, I just saw the commercial for this movie and I knew it'd be bad. Thanks for confirming!

domef said...
what this moive was not lame. no the moive funny !!!!

N-K said...
This movie was terrible-even worse than the Scary Movies. Your article is very true, this movie is that bad.