Superhero Movie | Teen Ink

Superhero Movie MAG

By Anonymous

Ever wonder how bad comedies can get? Even worse than “American Pie: Beta House”? Well, ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you to read about the worst spoof film since “Scary Movie 2.”

“Superhero Movie” has to be the worst film so far this year. The plot begins with a nerd named Rick Riker (Drake Bell) who goes to a science lab on a school field trip and gets bitten by a mutant dragonfly while admiring his future girlfriend Jill Johnson (Sara Paxton) and turns into … well, Dragonfly.

He returns home to his uncle Albert (Leslie Nielsen) and best friend Trey (Kevin Hart), who discover Rick’s powers. Rick decides to fight for justice, just like Spider-Man. But when a mad scientist named Lou Landers (Christopher ­McDonald) changes himself ­into Hourglass, it’s up to Rick (a.k.a. Dragonfly) to stop this terror. You thought the plot of “Scary Movie 2” was bad? Well, this is about to get much worse.

The main problem I have with the film is not the acting, directing, or the special effects; it is the comedy itself. The goal of a comedy is to make people laugh their heads off, but “Superhero Movie” doesn’t cut it. The gags are tired old jokes from the 1970s, à la “Airplane!” and “Naked Gun.” The jokes involve animals, bathroom humor, blowing things up, bees, Steven Hawking, and a nail gun, to name a few. These jokes, most of the time, fell flat. Unlike “Scary Movie 3,” which is very funny, the laughs are few and far between here. This is just unacceptable for a comedy.

The film was written and ­directed by Craig Mazin, who wrote both “Scary Movie 3” and “Scary Movie 4.” His direction is completely flawed. He wouldn’t know a good angle if it hit him in the face. He also doesn’t know good lighting. Sure, some scenes look fine, but others just look too comical even for a comedy.

So, was there anything I liked about this film? I did laugh at a couple of the jokes, and Pamela Anderson always looks hot, no matter what she does. Bottom line: Do not see this movie, even if you’ve been dared to. Skip it and watch “Airplane!” instead.

This film is rated PG-13 for crude and sexual humor, comic violence, and language.