Snow White and the Huntsman | Teen Ink

Snow White and the Huntsman

March 8, 2013
By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)


2 out of 5

The Huntsman: What the hell's going on? Who are you, why does the queen want you dead?
Snow White: She wants everyone dead, all of us!
The Huntsman: What makes you so damn valuable?
Snow White: You should know, you're the one hunting me!

In the summer of 2011 a movie called Rise of the Planet of the Apes was released in theaters. It was a big budget blockbuster that was a huge success, in terms of both how much money it made, and it's depth. It also was an idea conceived from an older classic tale; in that case a 1968 movie called Planet of the Apes. I think a lot can come from the idea of a movie making the classic tale of Snow White a dark and gritty one. Therefore, I think this film had some good potential to be a great entertaining and deep summer blockbuster. Unfortunately it lacks all of that completely. It is simply just, fairly empty. There is nothing that I could find in this script that gives any of these characters anything beyond their boring physical features.

Despite this irritating aspect, this could have at least been fun, but the movie finds little fun or joy in it throughout. Charlize Theron's over the top performance was more awkward than amusing. Kristan Stewart wasn't horrible but she didn't try all that much to be good. The only person who was more than adequate was Chris Hemsworth who had a cool character with a cool personality. And the dwarfs were quite humorous, Simon Pegg was spot on with that. But for the rest of the time, the movie's overall tone is way too serious for something that has so little to keep the viewer occupied throughout.

Queen Ravenna: I shall give this wretched world the queen it deserves.

The CGI is impressive (in terms of visual effects) but there's nothing here I haven't already seen before...oh wait! There is this one scene that involves a tree turning into some kind of living monster that looks like the Gozer's Terror Dog from Ghostbusters and a lion; only larger. Other than that though, the rest of the visual-feast-scenes are quite a bore. That is probably the best single word to describe this movie: boring.

Snow White: What does she want from me?
Finn: Your beating heart.