Rock of Ages | Teen Ink

Rock of Ages

By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)

3 out of 5

Dennis Dupree: This place is about to become a sea of sweat, ear-shattering music and puke.

Very rarely do I ever recommend a movie to only a certain target audience. If I think a movie is good I usually think it can be acceptable to anyone, and I usually don't believe that a film can only be enjoyed by a certain number of people. In other words: I'm not a "genera guy". I don't JUST like action movies or JUST like comedies. Some action movies I love, some action movies I hate. Same story with any other genera. It's all about how the movie it is played out. Does it Succeed or does it fail?

However, with Rock of Ages I really think I am going to have to go against my belief. I love rock! Especially this kind of 80s rock. (Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses etc.) In this case I will say that if you also are a big head-banger like I am, you might enjoy this movie like I did. This movie is filled with great, foot beating, rock music throughout played to perfection. I had almost a blast watching this!

Dennis Dupree: I just threw up.
Lonny: Where?
Dennis Dupree: In my pants... out my ass.

The actors here can all do a great job covering these classic songs. Half of the stars of this movie can sing pretty damn good but actually act pretty damn bad. With that being said, all the famous stars in this movie (Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, and of course Tom Cruise) are absolutely perfect here. They are over the top, funny, and believable. And they can also sing pretty damn great!

Stacee Jaxx: I know me better than anyone... because I live in here... and nobody else can.

The cheesy romance that ensues in this movie is frankly very annoying and did not do anything for me. That is partially why I don't think everyone will like this. They may perceive that as the only major thing this film has to offer. Another aspect about this movie I enjoyed was how it shows rock-haters of 1987 protesting against rock music saying how it is the devil's music and whatnot. By the end the music changes them. It is all played out in a silly, over-the-top kind of way but still, seeing that was awesome for me. I believe that is more of what the movie has to offer than just the cheesy romance plot which I think a lot of people will miss.

And furthermore, !!!!!!ROCK ON!!!!!!

Lonny: Wolfgang Van Colt... are you sure you want to stick with that?
Drew Boley: It's Wolfgang VON Colt!
Lonny: That's not much better.