Office Space | Teen Ink

Office Space

February 21, 2013
By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)


4 out of 5

Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?"
Lawrence: No. No, man. S***, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

A very funny movie simply about the life of working in an office. Mike Judge truly captures a realistic view of the horrors that can be generated from this type of boring life. And from that realism it's funny.

The movie is set in some boring town; a lot of commercial roads and office buildings, but pleasant. There is still plenty of grass and trees that give the overall place a nice view. A nice view (that is) for when you're staring out the window at work! The environment here is very relateable.

The main character is Peter. Peter is your "average Joe" who is depressed because of his boring job. He works at one of these Office buildings and we never are told what exactly he does because it is not important. I am certain though, that it is indeed not fun. Peter is not motivated. He hates the idea that these days, men are being forced to work like this sitting in their little cubicles staring at a computer screen. In the office he works in, there is annoying people and annoying sounds everywhere. Peter is a likable guy and it is rough seeing him in this little hell. It is easy to root for him, as I do when I watch this movie.

Later on, Peter changes his life by not going to work. He becomes more open to the world around him. For example he hooks up with Jennifer Aniston's character Joanna who was also much more likable of a character than you would expect! From then on, the new Peter takes over the show and it's just brilliant.

Peter Gibbons: I wanna take you out to dinner, and then I wanna go back to my apartment and watch 'Kung Fu'. Do you ever watch 'Kung Fu'?
Joanna: I love 'Kung Fu'.
Peter Gibbons: Channel 39.
Joanna: Totally.
Peter Gibbons: You should come over and watch 'Kung Fu' tonight.
Joanna: Ok.

Again, this is a very funny movie. I laugh out loud a fair amount upon each viewing, which says something. Every joke is very cleaver. Every joke is spot on with it's consistency, and the nature of the movie's timing.

The quirky characters here are just hilarious to be around. Most notably, everything that the character Milton does and says. Not to mention, Peter's friend Samir who gets mad at the copy machine more hilariously than anyone!

Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of s*** out the window.
Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.
Samir: Piece of s***.

This is a great comedy, a really short one, but a good comedy that I love watching. It has a pretty good message about the work world and what that has become. A sequel would have been perfect, but it's too late now...or is it?

Peter Gibbons: What if we're still doing this when we're fifty?
Samir: It would be nice to have that kind of job security.