Die Hard 2: Die Harder | Teen Ink

Die Hard 2: Die Harder

February 20, 2013
By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)


2.5 out of 5

John McClane: Oh man I can't f***ing believe this. Another basement, another elevator. How can the same s*** happen to the same guy twice?

So here is absolute proof that according to the rules of Hollywood, every successful action movie must have a sequel. It's Die Hard 2 and statistically speaking, it's bigger. Figuratively, it's much smaller.

Bruce Willis is back as John McClane two years after the famous "Nakatomi incident". His wife-relationship problems are resolved because of the big incident, in which him and his wife Holly forgave each other and settled their differences. John McClane, now a Los Angeles police officer, is awaiting the arrival of Holly at a Washington Airport. Also scheduled for this evening is a flight from South America which should bring a drug dealer back to the United States. A team of high tech gangsters manage to take over the Airport's radar facility. They want to free the drug dealer. But they have only one little problem: John McClane!

Al Powell: You're not pissing in somebody's pool, are you?
John McClane: Yeah, and I'm fresh outta chlorine.

I have many problems with this movie, but the real key factor as to why it doesn't work is the fact that it is a sequel to the fantastic 'Die Hard' resulting in this film to lack all tensity. If this were not a sequel and it were its own movie, I might have enjoyed it more. But having seen the first film I know nothing bad will happen to John McClane by the end. What I continue to love about the first movie was how simple and intense it was. Every time I watch that movie I get that amazing feeling every man gets when seeing a kick ass action movie, plus that feeling every movie buff gets when witnessing an "all timer" like Die Hard. While watching Die Hard 2 (with the exception of a few cool scenes) am am either bored or amused at how cheesy something is pulled off. Yes, I found myself laughing from time to time, and the most depressing thing about it was I knew I wasn't supposed to.

The main villain here played by William Sadler is a menacing dude, but very forgettable. Sadler did a great job along with Willis, but the whole idea just didn't work. I feel like I should know a great villain by his name, like Hans Gruber. But I just know this villain from Die Hard 2 as "the villain".

Carmine Lorenzo: You are in my little pond now, and I am the big fish that runs it.

There is nothing that separates this movie from the first movie in terms of its environment. There is nothing here that makes this movie feel like it takes place in a different universe than the first movie. There are plenty of fan-satisfying moments, and some cool scenes here and there, but overall I got nothing close to the riveting excitement Die Hard 1 pleased me with. Why? Well if you look at the movie from a raw perspective it's the exact same structure. In other words, Die Hard 2 does in fact feel like a Die Hard movie, yet everything about it is so similar resulting in one lame sequel.

John McClane: Just once, Id like a regular, normal Christmas. Eggnog, a f***in Christmas tree, a little turkey. But, no. I gotta crawl around in this motherf***in tin can!