The Dark Knight Rises | Teen Ink

The Dark Knight Rises

By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)

5 out of 5

Selina Kyle: There's a storm coming.
Bruce Wayne: You sound like you're looking forward to it.
Selina Kyle: I'm adaptable.

When The Dark Knight came out in 2008 I don't think anybody thought there would be another Batman movie after that. There were rumors about a third installment by a year from then. Rumors had it that Angelina Jolie would play Catwoman and Eddie Murphy would play The Riddler and so fourth. Finally once the news got more and more clear, by 2011 we got our first teaser trailer for The Dark Knight Rises that showed some old footage as well as some new footage that featured a relatively brief conversation between Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon. Gordon was shown in a hospital bed looking like he had just been beaten to a pulp. Bruce Wayne is a bit unsure as to weather or not he thinks he can withstand Gordon's idea, but Gordon definitely says something about how Batman must return. Right from there with all my hopes and faith in Christopher Nolan I knew this movie HAD to be about Batman rising. I knew Nolan had to take that and make rising the big theme of this movie, hence the name The Dark Knight Rises! I knew he would masterfully make it both emotionally satisfying and epic...well, that pretty much sums up my brief thoughts on this movie.

Bruce Wayne: Why didn't you just kill me?
Bane: Your punishment must be more severe.

This is a Batman movie like no other, but unlike no other Batman movie, this film literally feels like "the end of the world". All of the characters we have grown to love are in their worst stages. While Gotham City is doing the best (in terms of the crime rate) it has ever been.

I don't just think that this is just an impressive follow up, I think that (along with the other two previous films) this is one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. It is quite difficult to compare the three movies of this trilogy because they are all so different. If you think that either one of them is the best I can't argue you.

Alfred Pennyworth: You're not Batman anymore.

This is probably the best trilogy since the original Star Wars trilogy! And this movie does exactly what a "third film" needs to do. Rises is really down-putting and heart breaking to watch, especially if you have come to love these characters by now. It all really does feel like the end of the end. I don't care how well I conclude this review after seeing this movie because the very end of this movie is the most intense and satisfying finales I have seen in a long time.

Catwoman: You don't owe these people any more! You've given them everything!
Batman: Not everything. Not yet.