The Dark Knight | Teen Ink

The Dark Knight

5 out of 5

Harvey Dent: You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Christopher Nolan has already proved that he can take Batman and turn that world into something amazing in 2005. Batman is probably my favorite character of anything, ever. The world of his has a lot of potential to be made into a really great movie and I am so glad that such a masterpiece can come out of his story.

There was a tremendous amount of hype for this movie in 2008 and to every one's surprise, not only did this manage to be BETTER than Batman Begins, but it surpassed all of it's hype completely making this it's own single known movie.

Batman: You wanted me, here I am.

To keep the plot simple, it follows Batman about 6 to 8 months after he made his debut in Gotham City in Batman Begins. Batman, Lt. Jim Gordan, and the new district attorney Harvey Dent try to corrupt the mob. In their attempt they let loose Gotham's new killing psychopath known as The Joker who just wishes to watch the world burn and cause complete mayhem towards everyone in the city.

The Joker: Batman needs to take off his mask, every time he doesn't people will die. I'm a man of my word.

What makes this different from any other Batman movie is that the central characters here aren't so black and white.

Batman is not just good and he is not a hero he is just what Gotham needs right now. In an insane world he is the perfect savior weather the citizens are aware of that or not. That is the heat he is letting himself take: not being heroic.

The Joker: [to Rachel] A little fight in you? I like that.
Batman: Then you're gonna love me!

The Joker is not just bad. He is crazy but he feels he needs to do what he needs to do just to prove some kind of point which can have countless theories as to what that is. He must be stopped, but he is not to get mad at.

The Joker: You have nothing, nothing to threaten me with. Nothing to do with all your strength.

And Harvey Dent was a near perfect guy at first, who could almost replace Batman. But The Joker turned him into a ruthless killer seeking revenge, all with nothing but a few bombs, knives, and guns.

Wuertz: Harvey? Jesus, I thought you was dead.
Two-Face: Half.

The performances by each actor here is really what makes these strongly written characters so believable. Ledger's performance in this is definitive and timeless. I love how Nolan waited for the second movie to add the Joker in as the villain. (Sorry Jack) All the other performances are perfect too.

The Dark Knight is an intense story that is always a joy to watch. It is satisfying, inspiring, and leaves me in awe after every viewing. For me, this is the greatest superhero movie ever made. There is no doubt in my mind that this won't become a future classic. Astounding.

Bruce Wayne: People are dying, Alfred. What would you have me do?
Alfred Pennyworth: Endure, Master Wayne. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of Batman, he can be the outcast. He can make the choice that no one else can make, the right choice.