ParaNorman | Teen Ink

ParaNorman

February 5, 2013
By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)


3.5 out of 5

Perry: He's probably up there fiddling with his Ouija or his orb.

Norman is an 11 year old boy who is thought of as a freak and picked on at school because he tells everyone how he can talk to dead people, and, well, he actually can. Now, a century's old curse goes down on Norman's town he is the only one who can save it! His quirky acquaintances are dragged along for the ride and hyginx ensue.

Courtney: I knew something like this was going to happen!
Mitch: You did? Wow. Because that zombie bit really threw me.

After relentless anticipation for a fun stop-motion animated zombie flick that would hopefully push the PG rating, (which the movie exceeds pretty greatly at) ParaNorman didn't QUITE deliver exactly what I wanted to see, for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, the movie is actually extremely fun throughout most of the second act. It was everything I was hoping for based on seeing the trailers and TV spots for the film.

My real gripe here is the editing. The pacing in this movie is surprisingly and irritatingly "all over the place". The reason being is probably because of the movie's first time director. I honestly think if Tim Burton helped directed this, this would be a massive hit for me.

Mr. Prenderghast: Read from the book at the spot the witch was buried.
Norman: This is crazy!
Mr. Prenderghast: Do I look crazy to you?

It's too bad since this is essentially a fresh and original zombie movie with great characters and countless hilarious gags that even fits a good message about bullies and so fourth. All of those elements combined should add up to an incredibly satisfying movie, but unfortunately I really wanted more from it. I still definitely recommend ParaNorman. It is arguably just a brilliant movie with some problems.

Grandma: There's nothing wrong with being scared, Norman, as long as it doesn't change who you are.