Act of Valor | Teen Ink

Act of Valor

By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)

2.5 out of 5

Christo's RHM: You know, from time to time, I get to see my old friends from my old life. And it's always, always disappointing. Some become assholes, others boring, and I can't believe I tried to get them in bed all those years ago.

Act of Valor is a sentimental war movie focused on modern Active US Navy SEALS. While lacking an engaging story or characters throughout the entirety of the film, it is clear that this movie has got a great message to it about how one should not be afraid of life and contribute to things. That is all solely because of the last 5 (or so) minutes of the movie that reveal this, in which a voice over is giving a speech.

Man over P.A: Blackbeard, green light in ten. five...

What is the rest of the movie like? Well, it is all action as the SEALS are out on their acts of valor, and there is no real plot. About 85 percent of the movie is all complete action that I could not get myself into, mainly because of the lack of interesting characters, and the fact that all this action is styled as a video game. At times I felt like taking out my Xbox controller and pretend to be playing Black Ops just to get through the particular sequence I was watching.

There are no stars in this movie, the pay bill consists of real Active Navy SEALS. I will just flat out say it, the acting here is bad. I am aware that this is based off of real Acts of Valor, and I am glad that this film was dedicated to people in the army and their families, but this IS a real feature film, and as that stands, there really should have been more to this movie than an obvious message, lazily throwing in shaky-cam-type-action for most of the running time, and the characters should have had more depth. I'm telling you, (SPOILER: when the main character dies at the end I didn't feel anything, or even remember which one he was for that matter.) With that being said though, I did like that this aspect of the movie showed how loyal these people are to one another, and gave me even more respect to Navy SEALS, or anyone involved in the US army. And I also think that anyone who can enjoy mindless ADHD-video-game-type action with no character development whatsoever, can fully enjoy Act of Valor and also gain more respect towards these people. They can surely enjoy this, just not me. I felt like I was watching someone else play Black Ops.

Sonny: Hey LT. You got to let us know who that guy is so when we get back we can kick his ass.
L.T: What guy?
Sonny: The guy who gave you that f***ed-up haircut.
[laughs]
AJAY: Damn, Sonny you should be the last guy to talk. You look like the Dominican Mr. Clean.
Sonny: That means my head shines like your gold teeth huh?