Clerks. | Teen Ink

Clerks.

By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)

4.5 out of 5

Dante: I'm not even supposed to be here today!

A very funny and original look at the job of store clerks. The reason I like this movie so much is because it is just really fun to watch. It's always a joy to watch these great memorable characters go through the worst day of their lives.

The movie takes place throughout the course of one particular day at a convenience store where our 20-something year old protagonist Dante works. He stands at the counter and complains about his job with his buddy Randal who works at the video store next door.

The dialogue here is just hilarious. The two discuss things like movies and talk negatively about their customers.

Randal: This job would be great if it weren't for the customers!

It's not just the dialogue that makes this so funny, but there are also plenty of sight gags that can have me in stitches in the same way as the dialogue gags. The reason being is probably because I love these characters. Everything that comes out of their mouths is just said in the funniest way possible.

Kevin Smith wrote and directed Clerks and it was pretty much his big debut. Everything in this is so him. I love how he shot the whole movie in black and white to make it feel like we are watching some kind of surveillance footage.

Overall a great movie that I can numerously and happily watch again and again.

Randal: Fine, just let me borrow your car.
Dante: Why should I loan you my car?
Randal: I wanna rent a movie.
Dante: You wanna rent a movie?
Randal: I wanna rent a movie!
[Dante sighs]
Randal: What's that for?
Dante: You work in a video store!
Randal: I work in a shitty video store! I wanna go to a good video store so I can get a good movie!