Moulin Rouge

Moulin Rouge “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.”These heartbreaking words end Baz Luhrmann’s “Moulin Rouge,” a musical set at the infamous entertainment house in Paris. Impressively, Luhrmann creates a mood that will have you rolling on the floor laughing one moment, and sobbing violently the next. With a bold mix of slapstick and dark humor, hidden love and announced hatred, this movie becomes quickly addicting.We begin with Christian, a penniless young writer who ventures to the heart of France to write about the things he believes in the most: freedom, beauty, truth, and above all, love. He quickly finds himself wrapped up with an insane group of Bohemian playwrights who use him to try and sell their play idea to the owner of the Moulin Rouge, Harold Ziddler. Ziddler is, in the meantime, attempting to get a visiting Duke to take a shine to his star entertainer, Satine. After an interesting mix-up, Satine instead falls in love with Christian. So begins a whole mess of problems all decorated in vivid colors, as is traditional showgirl fashion, and with a soundtrack by many well recognized artists, and the surprisingly good voices of the stars themselves. Viewers will appreciate the talented acting as well as the music. Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman give credit to the profession by playing an extremely diverse range of emotions. Jim Broadbent and Richard Roxburgh both manage to come off as someone to be pitied and repulsed by at the same time.I highly recommend this movie, although it is not for little ones, considering the risqué tone. You will be kept intrigued and amused through the whole movie, not to mentioned shocked by several morbid twists. This beautiful tale is sure to be remembered.

Vesperstar23 said...
i really liked the way this review was written! Nice job! I just watched this movie a few days ago, I had already heard all the songs from it, because my sisters would listen to it before i had seen the film. But after watching it the music means even more, and i can't stop listening to it. The I loved the strange way it was filmed, i felt like i was almost watching a awesome music video. It was so fun, but then i became heart-broken. A very good film! You mintioned all the t... (more »)