The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey | Teen Ink

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

By Arithmar BRONZE, Thornton Colorado, Colorado
Arithmar BRONZE, Thornton Colorado, Colorado

Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?
~Monty Python's The Holy Grail

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey pt. 1 was a movie based on the book by J.R.R Tolkien, and directed by Peter Jackson that was released in December this year. The Hobbit gained a lot of publicity because of the huge success of the Lord of the Rings (also by Tolkien) Trilogy; filmed just a couple of years back by the same director. This movie also took place in the same area; New Zealand. However, the Lord of the Rings movies and The Hobbit only shared one place in common: The Shire. Music factor still played in this movie as much as the last three, with constant melody to play into the scene.
The Hobbit (along with the LOTR series) was one of the most beautiful films I have ever come to witness in my short years. Finding out that the whole story would be released periodically over three years crushed me. The cast was picked at perfection, each of them playing the roles of the dwarves, Bilbo, Gandalf (who is the same actor for Gandalf in LOTR), and others seamlessly, and the music was phenomenal, able to move you in the scenes when it mattered most. I agree with the opinion that the movie was oversold as being funny like trying desperately for attention in mainstream comedy, as in the commercials, those were the only parts played. However, those parts were few, as it was far more a serious than a lot of publicity showed. The scenery is just as stunning as it was in the earlier movies, with a world where magic is a usually a subtle thing, as a snake in the grass, and friendship always beats adversary. I highly recommend watching this movie if you loved the Lord of the Rings, or anything that has a beautiful world fighting evil and itself.