The Artist | Teen Ink

The Artist

January 8, 2013
By Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
13 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mein Führer! I can walk!~~Dr. Stranglelove: Or I How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb


The Artist is a silent black and white film made in 2011. Hearing that phrase grabbed my attention immediately grabbed my attention. Also winning ten Oscar’s including Best Picture. This must be a fantastic movie! Thankfully it completely fills that adjective and then some. Here is why.

This film is directed by Michel Hazanavicius who is French and that means that you probably don’t know any other movies he made. The same applies for Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo, the leading actors in the film. Dujardin’s character, George Valentin, is respectfully over-the-top, as he should be in a silent black and white movie. In a movie like this it has to be “over played” to be able to get an idea of what’s happening because in many conversations, they don’t show you the dialogue. The movie doesn’t give you a paragraph of text telling you what is happening. So being over-the-top can help you have an idea to what the person just said and how it affected the main character.

The plot revolves around how silent black and white movies are dying and talkies are being introduced. Valentin quickly puts that invention aside and says “If that’s the future, you can have it.” Now as we know they did catch up, and that’s where the catalyst of the movie comes. YAY! Film terms!! While Valentin is going to rags a little Miss Peppy Miller (Bérénice Bejo’s character) is going to riches because of these talkies. What makes this even more spiteful for Valentin is that he ironically made her famous.

The story is perfect in this movie. Many people were probably turned off from this movie. They probably thought this film would be boring but, my god, are they wrong! The film is surprisingly fast. The pacing is quick and there is never a dull moment. This is not a boring movie. The music in a film like this has to good. Since there is no dialogue (kinda) we have to be listening something good for the rest of the film. Thankfully it is great and by the end you will remember its theme and will make you want to snap your fingers. There are also several familiar faces such as Malcom Macdowell, John Goodman, and Uggie as Jack the Dog.

As you can see from this review I praised this film. And now that I think about it, I honestly can’t think of anything majorly bad in it. Let me finish of by saying; do not be put off from watching this movie because it’s a silent black and white movie. This will not make you bored at all! And hopefully after you watch it, it will be one of your favorite movies you have seen.