Les Miserablés This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Despite what many are saying, I believe that Les Miserablés is one of the best movies to come out this year. I am totally in love with the stage play and book of Les Miserablés, and the movie was no exception to the trend. Many people's first complaint is that Hugh Jackman, who played the central role of "Jean Valjean", couldn't sing. The first time I saw the movie, I agreed. Second time, I was iffy. Third time, I loved it. In my opinion, Jackman's voice is an aquired taste. It is interesting, and uniquely beautiful. Anyway, this is his first musical! Give the man a break. The same applies to Russell Crow, co-starring as the relentless law-man "Javert." His voice is deep and emotional, and a pleasure to listen to. However, one of my favorite moments of the entire movie was Anne Hathaway's rendition of the famous song "I Dreamed A Dream." Hathaway's character, "Fantine", is a poor, working woman, forced into a life of prostitution, because she has to pay for her daughter, and she lost her job in a factory. Her strring performance brought tears to my eyes, as well as everybody else in the theater. I absolutely loved Sacha Baron-Cohen and Helena Bonham-Carter in the roles of "Monsieur Thernardier" and "Madame Thernardier." The comic relief of this horribly depressing musical, the "Thernardiers" bring life and hillarity to the stage. Baron-Cohen and Bonham-Carter definitely delivered. Another nice surprise was the amazing voices of Amanda Seyfried ("Cosette") and Eddie Redmayne ("Marius"). Redmayne's performance of "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" was extremely moving, and they were both excellent throughout the movie. All in all, I would give this film a 4/5, and I hope to see it many times again.
P.S. A bit of advice. If you aren't familiar with the story, bring tissues. You're gonna' cry.

VagialenaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 9 at 10:00 am:
Believe me, you need tissues even if you've read the book!! I, in two words, was fascinated!

AilsaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 7 at 7:57 pm:
Hugh Jackman has done many musicals on stage, i dont think any were filmed. i enjoyed this movie a lot :D

NickBottomThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 8 at 6:32 pm :
Thanks for letting me know! I thought this as his first musical.