Enough | Teen Ink

Enough

January 2, 2013
By ilianabelen BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
ilianabelen BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about CREATING yourself.


In Michael Apted’s 2002 thriller and major-hit, Enough, Jennifer Lopez stars as a wife subjected to domestic violence. Billy Campbell co-stars as her abusive and determined husband. In this women’s rights classic, Slim (J-Lo) takes her daughter and runs away from her cheating, murderous husband, Mitch.

After Mitch hits Slim the first time, she visits his mother. In response to the bruises on her face her mother-in-law questions “What did you do? What did you say to him?” After the first beating, Mitch’s true colors begin to show. He doesn’t hide his threats or the fact that he constantly watches Slim. He threatens that if he can’t have her then no one can. His anger even stretches out to his own child and those who try and help her escape. The intensity of this scene creates a foreshadow of what the rest of the film will be like and helps to create the atmosphere.

Slim goes to the extremes of changing her image, her name, and her location multiple times in order to truly get away. Mitch does his part to make sure she can’t slip away by freezing her accounts and following her every move. He attempts to follow her across the country and eventually only wants Slim dead. Slim finally shakes herself free of Mitch. In her new location she “Mitch proofs” the new house in case he ever shows up for another fight. She does a great job of taking care of herself and her child, Gracie, and eventually goes on to defeat Mitch. The scenes where Slim changes her image make you wonder how far she is willing to go and how far she has to go in order to rid herself of Mitch. When she looks over her shoulder and takes the extremes of avoiding cameras and only using cash causes paranoia in both the characters and the viewers.

This movie is a classic thriller and is sure to raise the hairs on the back of your neck. While watching, you find yourself cheering for Slim and hoping she does everything she can to save her family. Director Michael Apted uses his cinematography skills to pick the perfect camera angles to enhance the film and add suspense. Though it may not be a classic family film, this movie will always be a go-to women’s rights movie.