The Expendables 2 | Teen Ink

The Expendables 2

December 26, 2012
By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)


3.5 out of 5

Barney Ross: I heard you were bitten by a king cobra?
Booker: That's right. But after five days of excruciating pain... the cobra died.

BOOSH! The Expendables 2 is a sequel that is much superior to the first movie. The reason being is that this time around, the tone is completely silly. The movie knows exactly what it wants to be. With the first Expendables movie: as entertaining as it was, it tried to establish a somewhat serious tone, whereas with this installment we get a much more ridiculous tone, which only generates for more fun. This means more awesome action scenes, more bad-ass action heroes from the 80s, and more laughs.

There is no need to explain the plot here because it really doesn't matter. Here is all you need to know: The Expendables are good guys and they have to stop the bad guys. Sure, they meet some new people along the way, and there is a good reason why they seek more revenge toward the bad guys. But there is really no purpose to give a rat's ass about the enemies' motivation.

Barney Ross: We keep it lite until we have to get dark. Then we go pitch black.

The action here, much like the first movie, is extremely entertaining. Even with Sly out of the director's chair the action is still crafted pretty effectively. We get wide angles and there is no shaky cam! This is good because, not only is it easier to see what is happening, but it is also one of many aspects here that pay homage to 80s action films. Also, it is just more epic and violent.

Barney Ross: Rest in pieces.

In terms of "fun-ness" this movie is filled with "great" performances. The concept of the first Expendables was to take a bunch of action spectacles from the 80s and put them in a movie together. However, not everyone that can be placed in that category got to be in it. Now we've got those people; Jean Claude Van Damme, Bruce Willis, Arnie, Chuck Norris, yeah it's pretty much the epitome of awesome. As atrocious as some of these guys can be at times, they are fun to watch as they blow s*** up and spit out stupid one-liners every five seconds!

Trench: I'm back.
Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.
Tench: Yippie Ki Yay.

Overall, The Expendables 2 is just a stupidly entertaining and ridiculously fun ride with plenty of funny and satisfying moments. It is self aware, and written so bad that it is smart.

Trench: [Church pulls up in a SmartCar] My shoe is bigger than this car!
Church: Shoot something!