Batman Forever | Teen Ink

Batman Forever

November 24, 2012
By ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
ChevyPillow PLATINUM, Fairfield, Connecticut
43 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss...and i'm all out of bubblegum." (They Live 1988)


3 out of 5

Alfred: Might I persuade you to take a sandwich with you, sir?
Batman: I'll get drive-through.

Tim Burton is done making his dark Batman movies and hands his directing spot over Joel Shumacher, who I'm guessing, just like Burton has a passion for how he wants a Batman movie to be. Batman is in my opinion one of the greatest fictional characters ever conceived. As I have said, the old campy TV show with Adam West embodied the character of Batman and his surroundings very poorly. That is why Burton's take on Batman was so brilliant. The way Schumacker wanted to make this movie went against everything Burton was trying to do with his movies. If you thought HIS films were cheesy, you haven't seen this movie!

Chase Meridian: A girl can't live by psychoses alone.
Batman: It's the car right? Chicks dig the car.

Burton's Batman moves and Schumacher's movies are so different, yet so much alike. The score in Schumacher's movies is much more light hearted, the characters are even more cartoonish, the dialogue is filled with even more cheese-ball one liners, even the color's of Gotham City is different here. Every thing filmed here feels like it is in some shade of red mixed with blue! But you know what? It is all really fun to watch and it is all just as ridiculous as the Burton movies if you think about it. (Okay, except for the bat-nipples! That was just absurd.)

Two-Face: [to Batman] Why won't you just die?

Here are some random things that I had to get off my chest about this movie...

My real gripe here is how the movie is a sequel and a reboot at the same time. The theatrical trailer for this movie marketed this as a reboot, but when you watch this you can clearly see that Alfred is played by the same actor as in the Burton movies, along with Commissioner Gordon. But then, after a flashback of Bruce Wayne's childhood we find out that [spoilers] it was Two Face who killed Wayne's parents. In the Burton films, it was proved that The Joker killed them.[spoilers over] I'd also like to point out that in this "1995-1997" Batman world it is implied that this all takes place in the same universe as Superman, which *really* doesn't make sense either. There is an infamous line of dialogue that occurs in the opening scene of Batman & Robin where Batman says "This is why Superman works alone." In Batman Forever when Dick Grayson first comes to Bruce Wayne's house and Dick tries to leave Bruce says that "The circus is probably half way to Metropolis by now." Metropolis (AKA where Superman lives) What the???

I could go on and on, and nitpick this movie apart one at a time because there are COUNTLESS holes throughout a lot like the couple of things i've mentioned here. However I feel that (just like the Tim Burton Batman movies) if you accept the movie for what it is, it is a lot of fun and re-watchable.

PS: I still hate those bat nipples! Ridiculous.

The Riddler: Riddle me this, riddle me that, who's afraid of the big black bat?