Inside Job | Teen Ink

Inside Job MAG

October 17, 2012
By Abhinav Saikia GOLD, Plainsboro, New Jersey
Abhinav Saikia GOLD, Plainsboro, New Jersey
19 articles 4 photos 0 comments

A perfect crime leaves no trace. It requires ingenuity and great planning. Few reap all the benefits from their misdeeds without repercussions. “Inside Job” is a movie about a scandal of mind-boggling proportions. It describes the corrupt mentality of Wall Street, and the blatant robbery of trillions of dollars by the bigwigs who escaped prosecution in the face of overwhelming evidence. Instead of going to jail, the ­perpetrators walked away with billions.

Director Charles Ferguson exposes the corruption of the ­financial industry and how it deceived the ordinary American investor by simplifying complex issues and using brilliant sensory techniques to add emotional impact.

This film begins with a panoramic view of Iceland, where the deregulation of the financial system led a picturesque country into poverty. By using Iceland as the backdrop, Ferguson presents a visual contrast to the movie's theme and magnifies the impact of the crisis. It's amazing how in a small country like Iceland, a handful of people could create such a catastrophe. He draws a parallel between Iceland and the U.S. to show how a financial disaster caused by a few can destroy a country's economy.

The fragile and beautiful natural world contrasts sharply with the concrete skyscrapers and the ugly greed of the wealthy. This creative introduction displays how financial disaster can impact society.

Ferguson conducts interviews that show the guilt of the perpetrators and the enormity of the 2008 financial crisis. Through these financial insiders, politicians, and others, the movie documents the rise of the rogue industry. It highlights how greedy bankers rigged the financial system, turning every loss into a massive gain at the expense of their clients. They did little to cover up their crimes, safe in the power of their wealth and influence.

Charles Morris, a former banker, discusses how the profits affected his mind. He thought he became rich because he was smart. However, under the probing questions of Ferguson, the misdeeds of these executives are exposed.

“Inside Job” provides the statistics, clearly illustrating how bad things were. Matt Damon narrates the facts in a flat, indifferent tone. He describes how and why it happened, with excellent fact-based analysis and easily understood graphics. Ferguson shows the excesses of the rich, juxtaposing their opulence with the misery of their victims.

The movie brilliantly depicts the mega-corruption of Wall Street. One powerful scene shows footage of a tent city where unemployed workers live. These tent cities and the many unemployed people are the direct result of the antics of these Wall Street monsters.