The Fifth Element (1997) | Teen Ink

The Fifth Element (1997)

By Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia

Mein Führer! I can walk!~~Dr. Stranglelove: Or I How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb

I have never seen a film as quirky, goofy, weird, imaginative, funny, and a bunch of other positive adjectives as this. This movie is directed and written by Luc Besson who has made Taken, Taken 2 (ugh), and the Transporter series just to name a few. This takes place in the future where taxi drivers still exist. We follow John McL—I mean Korben Dallas who is a retired “Special Forces” major who recently had been left from his wife. He more or less hates his life because, well his wife left him and he’s a taxi driver. THEN on one fateful day, an orange haired woman (played by Milla Jovovich) falls from a building to his taxi.

She calls herself Leeloo. And she’s apparently being chased by the police. She also speaks in an alien like language. While this is going on Zorg, played by Garry Oldman, is trying to find these, “stones.” You know the drill. Romance becomes of Korben and Leeloo and Zorg is in pursuit of the same thing that they are. The story was well written and had many burst out loud moments but this plot is extremely basic and pretty predictable. This would be just an average movie if it wasn’t for the style.

In this movie you see a lot of the technology of this world. It’s a little like Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey. While there is no zero-gravity toilet, there are beds that make themselves. The city is also explored quite a bit. You see the many futuristic sky-scrapers in the distance, the flying cars, it’s all there. But, I wish that it would have been explored more. Since the world looks interesting, it’s a bit of a jarring decision not to have used this to the movie’s potential. But what it does show, it shows it well.

Gary Oldman. What can you say about him? No seriously, what can you say about him!? He delivers each of his characters with so much energy. He can play the serious no nonsense guy in charge or he can be a funny, goofy villain. And in this one it’s no different. As Zorg he plays the southern accented industrialist that has everything an action comedy villain should have. He is a villain that just wants to be taken seriously but just isn’t. Bruce Willis is the bad-ass action hero you have grown to love. I was quite surprised to see that he had quite a lot of character and I sympathized with him in the beginning before the plot came into full swing.

The comedy is great! And that is great thanks to the editing. In many scenes there is about 4 things happening at once and they all end with you gasping for air. The editing was perfect to set the tone for this movie. One problem though is the transitions between light hearted and funny to serious and sad. I could not take the parts that were supposed to be heartfelt seriously. You can’t possibly expect me to feel sad after a shoot-out with Chris Tucker screaming. It’s just not gonna happen.

In conclusion, this is a very fun, very energetic movie. While the flaws sadly bring it down, it is still a movie worth watching and re-watching. The sharp and funny dialogue will make this two hour movie feel like 15 minutes. WATCH THIS MOVIE!!

Just as a critics note, a bad score does not necessarily mean a bad movie. I might give a movie a 7/10 but I might say I absolutely love it. For example Citizen Kane may be the best film ever but that doesn't mean it's my favorite movie.