The Aviator | Teen Ink

The Aviator

By Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia

Mein Führer! I can walk!~~Dr. Stranglelove: Or I How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb

Let me just start off by saying this: Watch this movie!! Now that we got that out of the way I will tell you why.

When I started this movie into my DVD player I expected a fictional romance World War II dogfighting movie. I thought it was going to be a predictable movie but apparently was directed by Scorsese. I thought it would have thought at the end there was going to be a big battle between the two forces and the main character was gonna get killed of and the girl was going to mourn his loss. What I got was my favourite movie that I have ever seen. This is why.

This is a biographical film about Howard Hughes' high point in his life. This was directed by the always impressive duo Martin Scorsese and stars Leonardo Dicaprio as Howard Hughes. The movie kicks of with Hughes filming Hell's Angels which is a World War II dog fighting film and Hughes hires many many pilots and lots of cameras. At the time this was very unordinary and extremely risky for film makers. The budget for the movie 3,000,000+ which was unheard of at the time. Hughes went to great lengths to make Hell's Angels to be as great and as can be. As he was filming the movie he had a great interest in planes and aviation. After the filming he started to make the best plane possible and if it wasn't for Howard Hughes we would not have the one winged airplane. To go farther in the story would be a disservice to you all in this great story. Oh and there is a big crucial part in the beginning that I dare not ruin for you.

Overall the acting is great and Dicaprio's acting is great throughout. You really like and identify with the main characters. It is great to see Howard Hughes enthusiasm and perfectionism go while he is making the airplanes. Hughes also has many romances throughout mos notably Katherine Hepburn played by Kate Bluanchet which, besides Hughes, I think was the most like-able character. Dicaprio is great in showing Hughes' character in showing that he does anything to accomplish what he wants done.

The script was done beautifully by John Logan (who has done screenplays for movies such as Gladiator and Hugo) where every line is perfect. The script is funny, emotional, epic, and every other positive adjective ever. The directing from Scorsese is at his finest. The first hour or so is all filmed in bi-pack color. Scorsese did this in every scene before 1935. There is some cgi for the planes in this movie and yes you can notice it looks... well less than believable but to hell with it cause the rest of the movie is too friggin good! Also it's only use for the plane sequences which would be impossible to film in live action. Scorsese did masterfully in directing this film with positioning every shot perfectly and was edited undineably amazingly well.

Well as you can see this is just me gushing out why I loved this movie. I'm sorry but, I LOVE this movie. I am so happy on how completely wrong I was on my hypothesis of how this movie was. It is a three hour movie but when I watched it, it felt like a morning cartoon. This movie was nominated for just about every important Oscar but for some reason it didn't win best picture. This is my favourite movie of all time and I don't think this review does it justice but at least I tried.