For Colored Girls | Teen Ink

For Colored Girls

August 18, 2012
By thewolfinsheepscloth PLATINUM, New York, New York
thewolfinsheepscloth PLATINUM, New York, New York
34 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed
only if there is a light from within.


Rating: 4/5

I literally just finished watching this movie. This movie right here, is a masterpiece. It was a bit slow in the beginning and I had fooled myself into thinking I was not going to cry. Foolish me cried several times afterward, even when the credits rolled. This movie is powerful. Why? Because it portrayed these woman with different lifestyles and stripped back their layers and revealed to us, the watchers, the audience, that when life knocks you down to the point you want to die, you still have to get back up. These woman only have two things in common: they are african american females and they have their own individual issues. What I really liked about this movie was that they used woman who represented the different lifestyles of people. One was rich, another was being abused, one couldn't have children, and one was a promiscuous woman, being among some of the central characters.

At times it feels like too many things are going on at once, like you don't have time to breathe because there is even more drama unfolding on the screen. Another thing that put me off was the way they spoke at times. It was like they were spitting poetry and as a writer and poet myself, I found that beautiful but confusing at times. I just didn't understand why they were using poetry to speak, but I guessed it was to show what they felt in a way that differed from the usual.

For Colored Girls is a beautiful movie meant to teach that id there is one thing you should hold onto, it is yourself. It is a movie meant to be watched and enjoyed. When you watch this film, start it with an open mind and an even more open heart, so give it a chance, you won't be sorry.


The author's comments:
For Colored Girls is a 2010 drama film adapted from Ntozake Shange's 1975 stage play For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf. Written, directed and produced by Tyler Perry, the film features an ensemble cast which includes Janet Jackson, Whoopi Goldberg, Phylicia Rashad, Thandie Newton, Loretta Devine, Anika Noni Rose, Kimberly Elise, and Kerry Washington.

Like Shange's play—which is considered to be a landmark piece in African American literature and black feminism—the film depicts the interconnected lives of nine women, exploring their lives and struggles as women of color. - Wiki.

To me, it is a touching story that moved me. It made me cry, laugh and express anger. When a movie is able to move me like that, I feel the need to write about it, to share the beauty I saw in this movie, to get others to see the beauty in it as well. That is what I'm doing. Now, I know other people will go as far as hating this movie. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and like them, I will continue to express mine. Good day.