Moonrise Kingdom | Teen Ink

Moonrise Kingdom MAG

By keeperkeeper BRONZE, Long Beach, California
keeperkeeper BRONZE, Long Beach, California

“Moonrise Kingdom” is a charming romance written and directed by the notoriously playful Wes Anderson. The story revolves around two kids finding their niche on an island called New Penzance, introduced by a humorous weatherman and island guru played expertly by Bob Balaban.

The kids are revealed to have had trouble in the past controlling their youthful spirits, each in completely different circumstances. Suzy struggles to live peacefully with her seemingly boring family, particularly her mother and father, played by Frances McDormand and Bill Murray. Sam, a talented Khaki Scout, is on the other end of the spectrum, an orphan with little connection or understanding of adults. Sam and Suzy's love story is the basis for a spectacular adventure, eventually ­involving the island police officer (Bruce Willis), a social services officer (Tilda Swinton), and a neighboring Scout Master (Edward Norton).

The story is bitterly funny and finds a way to be chic, innocent, and intimate all at the same time. Although “Moonrise Kingdom” is undoubtedly engaging, the romance loses some of its energetic charisma when the adults find a way to contain the kids. This slows the momentum, ultimately taking away from the ending.

The acting, particularly by Khaki Scout Master Edward Norton, Bill Murray, and the child leads, Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward, is up to par with some of last year's best ensemble performances. All of the seasoned actors and actresses approached their jobs with the fun and sparkle that is Anderson's trademark.

The script is smart and sympathetic, and the direction and setting portray these qualities effortlessly. Many of the scenes are immaculately effervescent, conveying the beauty of New England with ease and poise. I expect great things from Anderson in the future.

jibberish45 SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
I really enjoyed the movie too. Wes Anderson is probably my favorite director working today ("The Darjeeling Limited" is one of my all time favorite movies), and this didn't disappoint.