Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb | Teen Ink

Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb

July 12, 2012
By Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
Jeresur GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
13 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Mein Führer! I can walk!~~Dr. Stranglelove: Or I How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb


Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb, is a Cold –War satire directed and written by Stanley Kubrick starring George C. Scott and Peter Sellers and it was released in 1964. When this movie was released, many people were surprised on its subject matter. A satire of a conflict that could destroy humanity. Kubrick made it anyway. The story is about General Jack D. Ripper, (clever Kubrick), played by Sterling Hayden, who orders B-52 bombers to bomb Russia. This surprises Washington because they did not order this attack. Ripper took off all communications from his air force base so nobody could interfere with his attack. The only way to stop the bombers is to give a three letter code that only Ripper knows. Ripper also told his soldiers to shoot anybody in a 200 yard perimeter around the base. He does this because he thinks that the Russians are destroying the purity of our bodily fluids. The comedy just writes itself.

The films comedy is phenomenal. Every line, every facial expression, is done to add comedic hilarity. Stanley Kubrick told George C. Scott to over act for practicing the actual scene. Scott didn’t want to use the practice scenes but Kubrick used them anyway. This enraged Scott but if it wasn’t for Kubrick’s smart move, the film wouldn’t be as funny as it is. Peter Seller played three rolls in the film. Dr. Strangelove who is a former Nazi nuclear expert now working for the U.S., Lionel Mandrake; a British officer, and lastly the president of the United States. He plays all of these roles expertly and Dr. Strangelove is probably one of the best quotable characters.

The movie takes place in basically just three locations. The iconic War Room, the inside of a B-52 bomber, and the inside and outside of an air force base. The film can be suspenseful in fairly comedic ways. For example, in one scene the whole world depends on a Coca-Cola machine. It is these parts that make this film so enjoyable. And here is the kinda scary part: This all could have happened. Sure it maybe a little of a stretch but the basic idea of a corrupt general that exceeded his authority and send bombers to wipe out all of Russia could have happened.

Dr. Strangelove is a great film and surprisingly a lot of fun. Who knew a black comedy about the cold war could have been this good. Though the ending did leave me feeling a wanting more. I guess I haven’t learned to stop worrying and love the bomb yet.