Brave This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When I heard that Disney Pixar was coming out with a new movie, I had my doubts. Disney movies have always had a reputation for being great, but I was not sure how “Brave” would stand up beside epics like “Toy Story,” “Cars,” and “Up.” I imagined “Brave” would be just another overly advertised money-maker. I was wrong. “Brave” is a heartwarming tale with brilliant animation, a fascinating story, memorable characters, and a stirring theme. It is one of the best Disney movies in a long time.

“Brave” tells the tale of Princess Merida (voiced by Kelly Macdonald), who is being forced by her mother (Emma Thompson) to marry the winner of a tournament. Of course, she doesn't want that, so the arrow-shooting princess runs away to change her fate. I know it sounds cliché, but the way the story is told feels original and new.

The journey that Merida takes through the forests of Scotland is full of twists. The landscape is beautiful, with incredible detail. The style of the animation shines down to the very last red curl. Everywhere there are references to Scotland's culture – not too much to be overwhelming, but enough to make the setting believable and interesting. Even the magic is not over the top and plays a clever role in the fate of Merida and her family.

The characters are hilarious and memorable. Merida's three little brothers are especially adorable. Action sequences present real danger and darkness to the characters and keep the story moving. The main ­opponent is darker than many villains in children's movies. Arrows might stick out of this bear, but he's definitely not dead.

“Brave” is a worthy addition to Disney's roster. The characters have a great connection. They fight like a normal family, but the bond between the parents and children wins out. The elements of humor, adventure, action, and family love are mixed together and set to bake with great animation to make a cake of a wonderful movie. Though some critics may have given it a grizzly score, I give “Brave” two thumbs up.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nicelt written. I agree Brave was a good movie. Congrats on making the magazine.