The Hunger Games | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games

May 23, 2012
By caroline2015 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
caroline2015 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

For most who have read The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, they weren’t disappointed. It is a great book, full of action, drama, and heartbreak. The difficult thing about these great books though, is portraying them on screen, and attempting to even compare to the novel. Many movies don’t hit the mark that their novel makes, but “The Hunger Games” was definitely an exception. I feel as if everything that is in the movie, is identical to the book.

Opening day of “The Hunger Games”, the box office hit $68.3 million. This is the best opening day ever for a non-sequel, in Cinema history. That is more than twice as much as the “beloved” movie “Twilight”. Possibly, this is because director Gary Ross is so brilliant. Or maybe it’s because all of the book lovers, were so excited to see how this movie would be portrayed.

“The Hunger Games” is all about a rich and snobby Capital, and twelve poor and hungry districts. A war broke out in the country of Panem quite a few years back. Now, all the districts were forced to live in poverty as punishment. Each year, for the uprising that they started, one man and one women from each district, are forced to compete in the hunger games. This is basically a war between twenty-four teenagers, but only one comes out alive. One of these “lucky competitors” is Katniss Everdeen. She is forced to leave her family and fight for her life. This is also in the hope of saving her district from all their suffering.

The acting of Jennifer Lawrence is impeccable. She gives life to such a cryptic topic, and plays every emotion right. There has been some controversy over if her body weight was fitting to Katniss Everdeen, but I couldn’t have chosen any actress better. One of the other great things about the movie is the action, and special effects. I have no idea how they put raging wolves with the eyes of humans on screen, but it looks incredible.

The director, the plot, and all of the intense effects of “The Hunger Games,” really make the movie. As I said, so many movies don’t do their books justice, but this one truly does. So next time you’re looking for a movie to watch, pick “The Hunger Games.” “ And may the odds be ever in your favor.”