The Hunger Games | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games

By paperbackwriter007 BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina
paperbackwriter007 BRONZE, Wilmington, North Carolina

After much anticipation, The Hunger Games, based on the bestselling novel by Suzanne Collins, was released on Friday March 23, 2012 to the delight of eager fans.
Overall, the movie was a success, managing to please both moviegoers and the novel’s avid readers. The actors and actresses made the characters come to life with Jennifer Lawrence as the feisty Katniss Everdeen, Josh Hutcherson as the rugged yet softhearted Peeta Mellark, Elizabeth Banks as the high strung and eccentric Effie Trinket, and Woody Harrelson as the drunken and unlikely protector Haymitch Abernathy. However, Donald Sutherland could have certainly been more sinister in his role as President Snow, and less like a post-apocalyptic Santa Claus.
The movie was captivating, grabbing the attention of viewers, whisking them away through the dystopian city of Panem, and refusing to let them rest until the final credits. However, parts of the movie may have been hard to follow for viewers who were unfamiliar with the novel; much of the background information was clipped and difficult to understand without previous exposure to the books. Generally, the movie stayed true to the book, with only slight modifications, although some of the more subtle intricacies of the book were lost.
One of the greatest triumphs of the movie was the portrayal of the Districts, and the sharp contrast it held with the gaudy and ostentatious lifestyle of The Capitol. The mountains of North Carolina served as a perfect backdrop for a significant portion of the movie, including the chilling Reaping scene, as well as the formidable arena of the Games.
The Hunger Games held something for all viewers, weaving well executed action scenes with heartwarming love scenes. The poignant dynamic between Katniss and Rue (a tribute from District 11) threatened to bring tears to the eyes of moviegoers. The plotline was not only captivating, but was also intertwined with themes of remaining true to oneself, and understanding the lengths one will go to protect friends and family.
With one of the highest grossing opening nights in the American movie industry, the premiere of The Hunger Games could possibly be one of the best film adaptations of a novel to debut in recent history.