Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I

By reviews123789 BRONZE, Rye Brook, New York
reviews123789 BRONZE, Rye Brook, New York

Magical spells, potions, broomsticks, witches, wizards, and horocruxes? That could only mean one thing. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows has finally been brought to life on the big screen! So if you’re a muggle who has been an enthusiastic follower of the Harry Potter saga, then this film does not disappoint! On November 19th at 12 am, the first part of the 7th and final Harry Potter Book by J.K. Rolling had its first public showing. In it’s first two weeks Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I has been a huge success. On opening night people around the world lined up by thousands. Over all, the film has made hundreds of millions of dollars in only its first couple weeks of being shown.
If you are someone who has not read the Harry Potter series, then the Deathly Hallows is not too easy to follow and could seem tedious. The plot takes up from where the Sixth movie leaves off—with the death of Albus Dumbledore and the return to power of the evil wizard—Voldemort--but there is no background provided for those who had not followed the series. For those who have read all the Harry Potter books and have watched all the movies, this movie seems to capture the dark mood portrayed in the 7th book. Although the over all plot is pretty clear and comprehendible, some of the details are unclear; there are many flashbacks shown throughout the movie that are never thoroughly explained. There are also some conversations that take place where it is unclear what was being discussed.
One of the strongest aspects of the movie is the tension created among the characters as they attempt to overcome tremendous obstacles and work through their personal relationships with one another. This tension is what keeps the audience interested in what is going on, although, there are long periods of the movie during which nothing much seems to happen.
The mood and seriousness of the Deathly Hallows is significantly different from the previous movies when Harry is a child, unfamiliar with true evil. The early movies seem more like a childhood adventure or fairytale where Harry looks at the world through a much more innocent view- point. With each subsequent movie as the characters grow up and become more familiar with the evils of the world, the movie’s gradually become darker and more adult-like. By the Deathly Hallows the characters, who are grown up, must confront a terrible challenge that threatens not only their lives, but of all those who they love. The dark mood of the movie is also reflected in a higher degree of suspense. For example, there are a few scenes where humans or animals pop out of nowhere causing people to jump out of their seats. Besides for the scary scenes, there are a few sad ones in which some characters are badly injured and others killed. The movie does leave out a few scenes from the book such as the first scene with Dudley and Harry, where they exchange kind words and come to some sort of resolution before the Durstley’s leave Privet Drive. But this scene does not detract from the movie. Because the movie only features part 1 of the 7th book, the writers are able to include almost every important detail, so there is not much left out. Overall the two and a half hour movie effectively sets up for the dramatic second half of the last book, where the public will learn the fate of Harry potter and his friends.

written for the school news paper last year