Midnight in Paris | Teen Ink

Midnight in Paris

By Elise Weinbach BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
Elise Weinbach BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska

The movie A Midnight in Paris by Woody Allen is a romantic fantasy comedy. It is a work of fiction that includes historical figures and settings. The movie would suit many people's movie tastes. The theme explored in the movie is the human longing to live in a time that matches your spirit. It includes well-known actors that portray their characters and make the listener feel for them. It has been my favorite movie released in 2011 because of its mysterious time travel and zeitgeist. I recommend it to anyone that would like to drift off into a world of light romantic comedy with a touch of historical ambiance.

The story line revolves around an engaged American couple and her rich parents, who are on vacation in Paris. Owen Wilson, who plays Gil, is a dreamer and writer. His fiancée Inez, played by Rachel McAdams, and her parents are everything but that. They are hoping for a grand time together but it turns out differently. Inez meets old friends and compares their happy marriage to the unsatisfying relationship she has with Gil. The situation gets out of hand and the couple decides they need distance from each other. Gil, in his time alone, strolls around Paris at night. One night on the corner of the market place the magic begins. He gets into a car and as soon as he knows it he has traveled back in time to the 1920s. He meets artists Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Picasso. Gil's spirit is soothed by traveling to his favorite time, the 1920s, which matches him better than the time he was born in. As this happens night after night the audience is transported into a fantasy of time travel and Zeitgeist.

A Midnight in Paris is a romantic comedy that includes historical figures.

The well-known actors Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams portray their characters well, which makes the movie realistic and enjoyable. The movie explores the feeling of time traveling. Another theme explored in the movie is the human longing to live in an era that matches your spirit. I love this movie because it brings out what I long for. I recommend A Midnight in Paris to anyone who is looking for a romantic comedy with a taste of history.