The Lucky One | Teen Ink

The Lucky One

By lexidenton BRONZE, Parkland, Florida
lexidenton BRONZE, Parkland, Florida

On Fri. April, 20, 2012, The Lucky One premiered in theaters around the world. It was originally a book by Nicholas Sparks and after much popularity he decided to make it into a movie. Many enjoyed his other movies and books including The Notebook, Dear John, The Vow, and The Last Song.

“I am in love with Zac Efron and that’s why I went to see it. But when I found out it was a Nicholas Sparks movie, I had to see it. Plus it was a really good story line too,” sophomore Sierra said.

Efron played a character (Logan) that was deployed into the U.S. Marine for three tours. When he is at his base, he sees a picture from a distance as it flashes into his eyes. When he goes to pick it up, he realizes it’s a picture of a girl named Beth (Taylor Schilling) next to a light house.

On the back of the picture is says “Keep safe.” All of the sudden his base gets hit with a nuke. He is the only one that survives the attack. He then goes to find the girl in North Carolina because he believes she was his good luck charm during his time away as a marine. The rest of the movie spins off from this new relationship.

Some students waited for the 12 A.M. premier while others spent their Friday nights waiting in line to get a ticket into the movie. According to the Weekend Box Office, Warner Bros. gave The Lucky One by the widest opening of any new film during this weekend. It had more than 3,000 play dates and an opening weekend revenue of around $17 million.

Many claimed that during the movie they could not stop crying. Many gave a positive reaction to the movie. Others said that they would definitely see it again and even buy the DVD when it comes out. Overall the move proved to be popular among many that saw the movie.

“I do not think I ever cried so much during a movie. I am so happy that I went to see it the first night even though the movie was packed,” sophomore Jolie said.