Tangled | Teen Ink

Tangled

May 7, 2012
By swimmingindeepwaters BRONZE, Marine, Minnesota
swimmingindeepwaters BRONZE, Marine, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Tangled is one of the happiest most uplifting movies I have in my video library. It is a new take on the classic story Rapunzel. From the choice of characters to the funny animals, this movie can be loved by many.

Many of us have heard of the original Rapunzel story. The pregnant mother who is craving rapunzel plant spots it over in the garden of a rich enchantress. The husband goes over to the enchantress’s garden in the middle of the night and steals the plant until the enchantress catches him. Instead of killing the poor man and his wife, the enchantress demands that their child be handed over to her. The enchantress raises the child of her own in a tower deep in the woods. The baby girl Rapunzel eventually grows up meets a handsome prince and together they devise a plan for escape. Unfortunately the enchantress finds out, cuts off Rapunzel’s hair and leaves her in the woods to fend for herself. The prince ends up blind because the enchantress pushes him off the tower into a patch of thorns, leaving him blind. The two eventually find each other again through Rapunzel’s beautiful singing and live happily ever after.

The original is just like every other fairy tale written. There is a damsel in distress and a handsome prince comes to save the fair maiden from her hardships. In the movie Tangled, Rapunzel is the one saving the day. The movie truly embodies women empowerment. The beginning of the movie starts out with Rapunzel’s mother and father being king and queen of a large kingdom. Rapunzel’s mother gets very sick when pregnant and is given a magic flower to keep her alive. When Rapunzel is born, she has the magic of the flower that was given to her mother; she can heal anything with her hair. But Gothel, the witch had been using the flower for hundreds of years to keep herself alive so she stole Rapunzel in the middle of the night and went off to raise her as her own child. Eighteen years later, Rapunzel is longing to leave her tower and see the ‘floating lights’ for her eighteenth birthday. Her mother refuses saying the world is too dangerous for her. While Gothel is away, Rapunzel gets her chance when a thief, named Flynn Rider, climbs her tower and she convinces him to take her to see the floating lights. So she and Flynn go off into the world where Rapunzel learns so many new and exciting things. Overcomes her fears and finds her dreams.

This movie is definitely more positive than the traditional story because of Rapunzel’s kind and adventurous personality that helped her make so many new friends throughout the movie. The movie is sure to give anyone the warm fuzzy feeling and true smiles. The animation is wonderful and the plot is sure to keep you laughing, smiling and even bring a few tears all the way through. This movie is a winner no matter what age you may be.


The author's comments:
This is my favorite movie of all time. I watch it whenever I can.